From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: New option gnus-use-atomic-windows
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 11:39:29 -0700	[thread overview]

Brent Busby <brent@jfi.uchicago.edu> writes:

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> I am struggling to see the advantage of gnus-use-atomic-windows.  Can
>> somebody (Eric?) illustrate a benefit (other than helm, as mentioned
>> earlier, which I don't use)?  In a day of testing so far, it has
>> gotten in the way...  Maybe (definitely) I'm missing the point.
>
> My two cents:
>
> Probably the benefit is just that unlike almost any other Emacs
> application, Gnus doesn't let you use windows (in the Emacs sense of the
> word, not frames) to use it at the same time while you're also looking
> at something else.  Any attempts to do that will be foiled just as soon
> as you do just about anything in Gnus.  When I want to do that, I
> usually just open a new frame so Gnus can have one dedicated to it, but
> I'm running Emacs in X, so it's nice that I have frames.  If I were on a
> VTY console, I'd have to just live with Gnus owning my whole display
> when I'm using it.
>
> gnus-use-atomic-windows seems to be an attempt to correct that, and let
> Gnus share frame space nicely with the buffers of things that don't
> belong to Gnus.  But we've been living with this for so long that we've
> sort of adapted to things the way they have always been (typical Emacs
> users, huh?), and thus gnus-use-atomic-windows brings its own problems.

Yeah, that was the direction I was headed. Recent Emacs also have the
concept of "side windows", and I'm still hoping that some combination of
side windows and atomic windows can get us to a place where Gnus can
have its nicely-configured multi-window layout either occupying a whole
frame, or part of a frame, and other Emacs activities won't interfere
with that. But that will probably take a while to achieve.