* Mail attachments missing for Safari/Outlook users
@ 2019-04-07 19:00 Joseph Mingrone
From: Joseph Mingrone @ 2019-04-07 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

Our university switched to Office365/Outlook for mail, so I end up sending lots of mail attachments from Gnus to Outlook users.  I have been told by about half a dozen users running Safari that my attachments do not show up for them.  I don't have a Mac, so I cannot easily test this directly, but in the past, I have tested the messages that I am sending with Gnus using tools like https://www.mimevalidator.net/index.html and they were reported as valid.  However, just now I tested some messages again and errors are reported.

Message File: blah.mail
Byteplant MIMEValidator V1.2.5.2
Errors: <LF> linebreak found
(line 1) <LF> linebreak found
(line 2) <LF> linebreak found
(line 3) <LF> linebreak found
(line 4) <LF> linebreak found
(...) parser error: too many bad linebreaks

I am running Gnus from the Emacs master branch, pulled on 2019-03-13.

Has anyone else come across this problem with Outlook/Safari?  Is there a workaround other than the telling these users to fix their broken software (I am guessing that one of Safari or Outlook is the problem)?

Thanks,

Joseph

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Mail attachments missing for Safari/Outlook users
@ 2019-04-08  7:44 ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2019-04-08  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Mingrone; +Cc: ding

Dear Joseph,
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

    > Hello, Our university switched to Office365/Outlook for mail, so I
    > end up sending lots of mail attachments from Gnus to Outlook
    > users.  I have been told by about half a dozen users running
    > Safari that my attachments do not show up for them.  I don't have
    > a Mac, so I cannot easily test this directly, but in the past, I
    > have tested the messages that I am sending with Gnus using tools
    > like https://www.mimevalidator.net/index.html and they were
    > reported as valid.  However, just now I tested some messages again
    > and errors are reported.

    > Message File: blah.mail Byteplant MIMEValidator V1.2.5.2 Errors:
    > <LF> linebreak found (line 1) <LF> linebreak found (line 2) <LF>
    > linebreak found (line 3) <LF> linebreak found (line 4) <LF>
    > linebreak found (...) parser error: too many bad linebreaks

    > I am running Gnus from the Emacs master branch, pulled on
    > 2019-03-13.

    > Has anyone else come across this problem with Outlook/Safari?  Is
    > there a workaround other than the telling these users to fix their
    > broken software (I am guessing that one of Safari or Outlook is
    > the problem)?

Just a thought, what's the setting of your variable
gnus-mime-display-attachment-buttons-in-header? Is it `t'?

I've not had your specific problem, but I've noticed that using `Attach
file' or `Attach external' can produce different experiences for a
recipient on MS-Windows.

Best wishes,
Colin.

--
Colin Baxter
m43cap@yandex.com

* Re: Mail attachments missing for Safari/Outlook users
@ 2019-04-09  1:26   ` Joseph Mingrone
From: Joseph Mingrone @ 2019-04-09  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: ding

Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

> Dear Joseph,
> <#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

>     > Hello, Our university switched to Office365/Outlook for mail, so I
>     > end up sending lots of mail attachments from Gnus to Outlook
>     > users.  I have been told by about half a dozen users running
>     > Safari that my attachments do not show up for them.  I don't have
>     > a Mac, so I cannot easily test this directly, but in the past, I
>     > have tested the messages that I am sending with Gnus using tools
>     > like https://www.mimevalidator.net/index.html and they were
>     > reported as valid.  However, just now I tested some messages again
>     > and errors are reported.

>     > Message File: blah.mail Byteplant MIMEValidator V1.2.5.2 Errors:
>     > <LF> linebreak found (line 1) <LF> linebreak found (line 2) <LF>
>     > linebreak found (line 3) <LF> linebreak found (line 4) <LF>
>     > linebreak found (...) parser error: too many bad linebreaks

>     > I am running Gnus from the Emacs master branch, pulled on
>     > 2019-03-13.

>     > Has anyone else come across this problem with Outlook/Safari?  Is
>     > there a workaround other than the telling these users to fix their
>     > broken software (I am guessing that one of Safari or Outlook is
>     > the problem)?

> Just a thought, what's the setting of your variable
> gnus-mime-display-attachment-buttons-in-header? Is it `t'?

> I've not had your specific problem, but I've noticed that using `Attach
> file' or `Attach external' can produce different experiences for a
> recipient on MS-Windows.

> Best wishes,
> Colin.

Hi Colin,

The variable gnus-mime-display-attachment-buttons-in-header was set to
`t'.  I tried setting it to `nil', but the result was the same.

Regards,

@ 2019-04-09  5:23     ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2019-04-09  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Mingrone; +Cc: ding

Dear Joseph,
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

    > Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:
    >> Dear Joseph, <#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

    >> > Hello, Our university switched to Office365/Outlook for mail,
    >> so I > end up sending lots of mail attachments from Gnus to
    >> Outlook > users.  I have been told by about half a dozen users
    >> running > Safari that my attachments do not show up for them.  I
    >> don't have > a Mac, so I cannot easily test this directly, but in
    >> the past, I > have tested the messages that I am sending with
    >> Gnus using tools > like https://www.mimevalidator.net/index.html
    >> and they were > reported as valid.  However, just now I tested
    >> some messages again > and errors are reported.

    >> > Message File: blah.mail Byteplant MIMEValidator V1.2.5.2
    >> Errors: > <LF> linebreak found (line 1) <LF> linebreak found
    >> (line 2) <LF> > linebreak found (line 3) <LF> linebreak found
    >> (line 4) <LF> > linebreak found (...) parser error: too many bad
    >> linebreaks

    >> > I am running Gnus from the Emacs master branch, pulled on >
    >> 2019-03-13.

    >> > Has anyone else come across this problem with Outlook/Safari?
    >> Is > there a workaround other than the telling these users to fix
    >> their > broken software (I am guessing that one of Safari or
    >> Outlook is > the problem)?

    >> Just a thought, what's the setting of your variable
    >> gnus-mime-display-attachment-buttons-in-header? Is it `t'?

    >> I've not had your specific problem, but I've noticed that using
    >> `Attach file' or `Attach external' can produce different
    >> experiences for a recipient on MS-Windows.

    >> Best wishes, Colin.

    > Hi Colin,

    > The variable gnus-mime-display-attachment-buttons-in-header was
    > set to `t'.  I tried setting it to `nil', but the result was the
    > same.

I'm afraid I've run out of ideas of what you might try - except maybe do
nothing! I had a somewhat similar issue when my University
Administration people kept sending me docx files. I couldn't open them,
weren't interest in their contents, so I just ignored them. It didn't
seem to have any significance consequences.

Best wishes,

Colin.

--
Colin Baxter