* Autocompletion overrides manually chosen alias identity
@ 2017-12-10 21:12 Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2017-12-10 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Aloha,

I'm having the following issue with using gnus-alias.

I start an email and decide I want to use an alias, so I invoke gnus-alias-select-identity and choose one. Then I go to the To: field and enter a To: address. If I use BBDB auto-completion, which is what I generally do, I get switched back to my gnus-alias-default-identity, with the From: header, etc., changed back accordingly.

This appears to be by design, since gnus-alias-identity-rules seems to be consulted again, and if (as is generally the case) nothing matches, then gnus-alias-default-identity gets selected and the headers etc. changed back as noted above.

This doesn't happen if auto-completion doesn't occur. Again this appears to be by design.

The question is, should it work this way? If I select an alias shouldn't it be left as-is?

I can see the problem here--- in most cases you would want gnus to fix the alias based on the identity rules. But should this be overriden if an alias has been manually selected?

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

only message in thread, other threads:[~2017-12-10 21:12 UTC | newest]