* auth-source.el: help-print-return-message
@ 2011-02-24 19:00 Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2011-02-24 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

when compiling Gnus (from git), I get...

$ emacs --version
GNU Emacs 23.1.1
[...]
$ make
[...]
In end of data:
auth-source.el:1331:1:Warning: the function `help-print-return-message' is not
    known to be defined.

When opening the IMAP server, I hit `?' at the "Save auth info to file"
prompt:

| Opening TLS connection to `imap.foo.invalid'...done
| Save auth info to file ~/.authinfo.gpg? y/n/N/e/?:
| Unable to open server nnimap+imap.foo.invalid due to: \
| Symbol's function definition is void: help-print-return-message
| Opening nnimap server on imap.foo.invalid...failed:
| Server denied access
| nnimap+imap.foo.invalid:INBOX error: BAD Please login first

Bye, Reiner

* Re: auth-source.el: help-print-return-message
@ 2011-02-24 19:25 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-02-24 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 20:00:00 +0100 Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:

RS> when compiling Gnus (from git), I get...

RS> $ emacs --version
RS> GNU Emacs 23.1.1
RS> [...]
RS> $ make
RS> [...]
RS> In end of data:
RS> auth-source.el:1331:1:Warning: the function `help-print-return-message' is not
RS>     known to be defined.

RS> When opening the IMAP server, I hit `?' at the "Save auth info to file"
RS> prompt:

RS> | Opening TLS connection to `imap.foo.invalid'...done
RS> | Save auth info to file ~/.authinfo.gpg? y/n/N/e/?:
RS> | Unable to open server nnimap+imap.foo.invalid due to: \
RS> | Symbol's function definition is void: help-print-return-message
RS> | Opening nnimap server on imap.foo.invalid...failed:
RS> | Server denied access
RS> | nnimap+imap.foo.invalid:INBOX error: BAD Please login first

This function is supposed to DTRT to dismiss the help buffer (which I
create with `help-mode').  I asked in the bug report and I'll ask here:
can someone tell me a good way to show pop-up help in Emacs?  I looked
at the source and everyone does it differently (I counted 5 different
ways before I have up).  Also it has to work in XEmacs and older Emacsen
so I hope someone can help me out.

One way I thought might work is just to replace the y/n/N part of the
prompt with the expanded versions (and then ? again will unexpand
them).  So:

"prompt ... y/n/?" => user inputs ?? => "prompt ... yes/no but ... /?"
=> user inputs ?? => back to original prompt

This has the advantage of not requiring new windows.

Thanks!
Ted

* Re: auth-source.el: help-print-return-message
@ 2011-02-24 20:56   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2011-02-24 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Do, Feb 24 2011, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> This function is supposed to DTRT to dismiss the help buffer (which I
> create with `help-mode').  I asked in the bug report and I'll ask here:
> can someone tell me a good way to show pop-up help in Emacs?  I looked
> at the source and everyone does it differently (I counted 5 different
> ways before I have up).  Also it has to work in XEmacs and older Emacsen
> so I hope someone can help me out.

The prompts for scoring (-> `gnus-score-insert-help´) and
`save-buffers-kill-emacs´ (-> `map-y-or-n-p´) are similar.

@ 2011-02-24 21:57     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-02-24 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 21:56:33 +0100 Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:

RS> On Do, Feb 24 2011, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>> This function is supposed to DTRT to dismiss the help buffer (which I
>> create with `help-mode').  I asked in the bug report and I'll ask here:
>> can someone tell me a good way to show pop-up help in Emacs?  I looked
>> at the source and everyone does it differently (I counted 5 different
>> ways before I have up).  Also it has to work in XEmacs and older Emacsen
>> so I hope someone can help me out.

RS> The prompts for scoring (-> `gnus-score-insert-help´) and
RS> `save-buffers-kill-emacs´ (-> `map-y-or-n-p´) are similar.

The first one is complicated and would tie auth-source.el tightly with
the rest of Gnus (which I'm trying to avoid because autoloading
`auth-source-search' should work outside of Gnus).

I pushed in a change to use `save-excursion' and `delete-window' because
all the other setups seemed too complicated.  But if it's not working
right, please let me know.

I also think that maybe I want something other than read-char.  It
errors out if I hit a cursor key, for instance.  What would be a good
function to use that supports prompts in XEmacs?  `read-key'?
`read-char-exclusive'?

Thanks!
Ted