From: Florian Ragwitz <rafl@debian.org>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: nnimap closing connections on gnus-group-suspend
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 14:22:35 +0200	[thread overview]

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:
>> On gnus-group-suspend, the old nnimap seems to have kept open the
>> connection to the IMAP server, whereas the new one closes them and
>> reconnects when Gnus is started the next time.
>
> FWIW I think the new behaviour is the correct one, and I've found the
> old behaviour annoying, and I've had to start a new gnus in a new
> emacs, after it has gotten confused after a suspend-resume.

How come? Automatic reconnection after the IMAP connection got closed
for whatever reason seems to work just fine with both the old and the
new nnimap. (I do remember issues with the old one and starttls that I
managed to work around by just using ssl instead of starttls.)

Is there another reason why Gnus would get confused when keeping
connections open while suspending?

While personally I still prefer the old behaviour, I don't have any
strong feelings about it either way. I'd be fine with writing a couple
more lines in my configuration to keep it the way I like if the new
behaviour is decided to be the preferred one. However, disconnecting on
suspend only to work around other unrelated bugs doesn't seem quite
right to me.