* Building Threads from Multiple Groups
@ 2023-07-28  3:18 husain
From: husain @ 2023-07-28  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a way to view articles in the summary page
with threads enabled, where the thread is built from articles for all
groups. There are two cases I am running into where I find this useful:

  1. At times, when I respond to an email in my INBOX group, the sent
     email is stored in the SENT group. The sent email in SENT does not
     show up in the summary page of INBOX when threading is
     enabled. This makes the thread incomplete. If the thread is large,
     and if I have responded to many emails in the thread, the threads
     in the summary buffer is even more deceiving.

  2. I have some rules setup on my IMAP server: emails sent to a certain
     mailing lists are stored in MAILING_LIST group, but emails sent to
     me directly are stored in INBOX. When an email, in the middle of a
     thread, is sent to mailing list and me, it will show up in INBOX. I
     cannot view the full thread using "A T" in the summary page of
     INBOX because the rest of the thread is in MAILING_LIST.

Thanks.

* Re: Building Threads from Multiple Groups
@ 2023-07-28  6:55 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2023-07-28  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Friday, 28 Jul 2023 at 03:18, husain@alshehhi.io wrote:
> I was wondering if there is a way to view articles in the summary page
> with threads enabled, where the thread is built from articles for all
> groups. There are two cases I am running into where I find this useful:

Check out gnus-summary-refer-thread, bound to "A T" by default in the
summary buffer.  It may do some of what you want.

--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 30.0.50 2023-07-19) on Debian 12.1

* Re: Building Threads from Multiple Groups
@ 2023-08-12 23:03   ` Björn Bidar
From: Björn Bidar @ 2023-08-12 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cohen; +Cc: ding

Just beware that `gnus-refer-thread-limit t' could make searching very
slow.

For example when I search across my personal imap server Emacs basically
"freezes".

* Re: Building Threads from Multiple Groups
@ 2023-07-30 19:54 Husain Alshehhi
From: Husain Alshehhi @ 2023-07-30 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cohen; +Cc: ding

Andrew Cohen <acohen@ust.hk> writes:

> Try setting 'gnus-refer-thread-use-search to t.

Thank you. This indeed does the trick. Thanks again.

* Re: Building Threads from Multiple Groups
@ 2023-07-30  5:13 ` Andrew Cohen
From: Andrew Cohen @ 2023-07-30  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

@ 2023-07-30  1:16 Husain Alshehhi