From: dick.r.chiang@gmail.com
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: access github pull requests via gnus or any other emacs pkg
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2020 11:21:25 -0500	[thread overview]

A. Sjoegren I'm sure will comment soon enough, as he made a significant effort
to write a Gnus backend for github.

Personally a run-of-the-mill fancy-split on the regex
"noreply\\.github\\.com" tidily puts all my github news into its own group.
Occasionally I'll reply directly from gnus since Github's
comment-as-email-reply is very nice (but you don't get github-flavored
markdown).  More often though, I click the link in the email where I can get
more context and actually see the code.  Some things I'm afraid are just better
done in a browser as illustrated by the general ill-ease over the debbugs
tracker (I've never seen anyone say debbugs is preferable to Github Issues for
ergonomic reasons, only political reasons).

Creating a gnus backend for github would be a significant undertaking for
someone without previous experience writing backends.  If I were to do it,
I could only ever hope to approximate the debbugs experience, which we
already know to be subordinate to the browser experience.
Unlike the commercial case where the programmer cannot refuse the customer
who asks for something the programmer knows she'll never use, I can clearly
see such a backend would never see real adoption, and as no one's under
contract, it's possible to circumvent this inevitable disappointment.

If you're still not convinced, there's the magit forge package, which gets
you fairly close to github-in-emacs, but by all accounts isn't compelling
enough to see the widespread adoption that magit proper did.

P.S. It's been some time since I was a matlab user, but I appreciated your
efforts trying to revive matlab-mode.  It used to be so nice before it all
came crashing down with Matlab 8.5.