From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: access github pull requests via gnus or any other emacs pkg
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2020 17:51:44 +0100	[thread overview]

>>> "drc" == dick r chiang <dick.r.chiang@gmail.com> writes:

> A. Sjoegren I'm sure will comment soon enough, as he made a significant effort
> to write a Gnus backend for github.

> Personally a run-of-the-mill fancy-split on the regex
> "noreply\\.github\\.com" tidily puts all my github news into its own group.
> Occasionally I'll reply directly from gnus since Github's
> comment-as-email-reply is very nice (but you don't get github-flavored
> markdown).

Hm maybe I could use indirect buffer, I am quite used to org mode and
use auto-org-md-mode which converts its quickly to markdown. hm

> More often though, I click the link in the email where I can get
> more context and actually see the code.  Some things I'm afraid are just better
> done in a browser as illustrated by the general ill-ease over the debbugs
> tracker (I've never seen anyone say debbugs is preferable to Github Issues for
> ergonomic reasons, only political reasons).

That's what I am doing and it annoys me.

> Creating a gnus backend for github would be a significant undertaking for
> someone without previous experience writing backends.  If I were to do it,

Ok that I was afraid of.

> If you're still not convinced, there's the magit forge package, which gets
> you fairly close to github-in-emacs, but by all accounts isn't compelling
> enough to see the widespread adoption that magit proper did.

I tried magit once and was not very much convinced strangely enough I do
most of my VC commands form the command line, well not committing but
merging rebaseing etc. In any case I always used you can only use magit
if you have write access to that repos in question.

> P.S. It's been some time since I was a matlab user, but I appreciated your
> efforts trying to revive matlab-mode.  It used to be so nice before it all
> came crashing down with Matlab 8.5.

Well first off all I think I have to thank Eric Ludlam, who provides
most of the code.

Now I use matlab well not on a daily base, but often enough and
currently I run Version '9.6.0.1214997 (R2019a) Update 6' to say
confidently that don't see severe problems. Could you please specify
which problem you a referring to?

If it is about debugging, well.
Debugging was very nice some years, stopped working but is back although
as I must admit not as nice a before, the reason for this is a bit
strange

The graphical navigation pointer (when you debug) relied on some undocumented API
which suddenly stopped working when matlab did a mayor upgrade (I have
to dig out the details)

There is a sort of kludge I am using, but right now I am not sure
whether it made it into master, since it did not cover all the use case.

Regards

Uwe