* Re: How to strip names out of To: and CC:
@ 2007-11-09  3:26 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2007-11-09  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dear Gnus Pals: I have changed the function message-get-reply-headers.
I have put the new version, all 200+ lines of it, in my .gnus.el file.

;;jidanni changed
;;	       (cons (downcase (mail-strip-quoted-names addr)) addr))
	       (cons (downcase (mail-strip-quoted-names addr))
		     (downcase (mail-strip-quoted-names addr))))
;;to avoid looking like a fool, even more consistantly than
;;mail-extr-ignore-realname-equals-mailbox-name and
;;mail-extr-ignore-single-names could, before gnus ignored them anyway

Of course you, the authors, could kindly add one little variable, say
message-austere-to-cc-reply, to toggle so we can avoid having to
redefine the whole hundreds line function.

No, this one line change cannot be done with one line in some hook, so
forget that.

* Re: How to strip names out of To: and CC:
@ 2007-11-09 17:54 ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2007-11-09 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Indeed, here lies your opportunity to end the embarrassment of
To: "d@d.d" <d@d.d>
which many of you seem to think looks just fine in one's outbound mail.

By adding a variable (pointing to a function) at
(cons (downcase (mail-strip-quoted-names addr)) addr))
you could bring back the now lost functionality of
mail-extr-ignore-realname-equals-mailbox-name,
mail-extr-ignore-single-names,
and allow my style of strip everything except the raw@address.com too.

* Re: How to strip names out of To: and CC:
@ 2008-03-19 16:46 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-03-19 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: ding

On Fri, Nov 09 2007, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
> Dear Gnus Pals: I have changed the function message-get-reply-headers.
> I have put the new version, all 200+ lines of it, in my .gnus.el file.
>
> ;;jidanni changed
> ;;	       (cons (downcase (mail-strip-quoted-names addr)) addr))
> 	       (cons (downcase (mail-strip-quoted-names addr))
> 		     (downcase (mail-strip-quoted-names addr))))
> ;;to avoid looking like a fool, even more consistantly than
> ;;mail-extr-ignore-realname-equals-mailbox-name and
> ;;mail-extr-ignore-single-names could, before gnus ignored them anyway
>
> Of course you, the authors, could kindly add one little variable, say
> message-austere-to-cc-reply, to toggle so we can avoid having to
> redefine the whole hundreds line function.
>
> No, this one line change cannot be done with one line in some hook, so
> forget that.

On Fri, Nov 09 2007, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
> Indeed, here lies your opportunity to end the embarrassment of
> To: "d@d.d" <d@d.d>
> which many of you seem to think looks just fine in one's outbound mail.

Should be possible with the CVS version now:

2008-03-19  Reiner Steib  <Reiner.Steib@gmx.de>

	* message.el (message-alter-recipients-discard-bogus-full-name): New
	function.
	(message-alter-recipients-function): New variable.
	(message-get-reply-headers): Use it.

,----[ <f1> v message-alter-recipients-function RET ]

`----

,----[ <f1> f message-alter-recipients-discard-bogus-full-name RET ]
| message-alter-recipients-discard-bogus-full-name is a Lisp function
| in `message.el'.
| (message-alter-recipients-discard-bogus-full-name addrcell)
|
| Discard mail address in full names.
| When the full name in reply headers contains the mail
| address (e.g. "foo@bar <foo@bar>"), discard full name.
| addrcell is a cons cell where the car is the mail address and the
| cdr is the complete address (full name and mail address).
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: How to strip names out of To: and CC:
@ 2008-03-21  3:16   ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2008-03-21  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I assume you allow users to strip names unconditionally too.
I'll use Debian's flaky at(1) to make a note to find out when the time
comes and it reaches Debian sid. Thanks.
$ echo echo try http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/66532|
env - at now+6\ months
warning: commands will be executed using /bin/sh
job 771 at Sun Sep 21 11:10:00 2008
Can't signal atd (permission denied)

* Re: How to strip names out of To: and CC:
@ 2008-03-21  7:35     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-03-21  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: ding

On Fri, Mar 21 2008, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

> I assume you allow users to strip names unconditionally too.

Well, your case "foo@bar <foo@bar>" is covered by
`message-alter-recipients-discard-bogus-full-name'.  If you want more,
write your own variant based on it (should be very simple).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: How to strip names out of To: and CC:
@ 2010-02-03  3:02       ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2010-02-03  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: Reiner.Steib

message-simplify-recipients is an interactive compiled Lisp function
in `message.el'.

1. This function is apparently unused by any other code.

2. When I do M-x message-simplify-recipients, it does what I want.
However, when I put it into any hook, it causes an error that mentions
the "--text follows this line--" separator.

3. It seems to work on addresses, even if they don't match
message-recipients-without-full-name, which is fine with me though.

* Re: How to strip names out of To: and CC:
@ 2010-02-03 19:25         ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2010-02-03 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: reiner.steib

j> message-simplify-recipients is an interactive compiled Lisp function
j> in `message.el'.

j> 1. This function is apparently unused by any other code.

j> 2. When I do M-x message-simplify-recipients, it does what I want.
j> However, when I put it into any hook, it causes an error that mentions
j> the "--text follows this line--" separator.

j> 3. It seems to work on addresses, even if they don't match
j> message-recipients-without-full-name, which is fine with me though.

Never mind, I'll just do
(defun jidanni-message-alter-recipients-discard-all-names (addrcell)
  "Discard all names in mail addresses, because it looks neater"
  (cons (car addrcell) (car addrcell)))

(setq message-alter-recipients-function 'jidanni-message-alter-recipients-discard-all-names)

P.S., hope this shows up in gmane.emacs.gnus.general...

* Re: How to strip names out of To: and CC:
@ 2010-02-03 19:48           ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2010-02-03 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: ding

On Wed, Feb 03 2010, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

> j> message-simplify-recipients is an interactive compiled Lisp function
> j> in `message.el'.
>
> j> 1. This function is apparently unused by any other code.

So what?

> j> 2. When I do M-x message-simplify-recipients, it does what I want.
> j> However, when I put it into any hook, it causes an error that mentions
> j> the "--text follows this line--" separator.

Which hook?  You need to use a hook run in the message buffer.

> j> 3. It seems to work on addresses, even if they don't match
> j> message-recipients-without-full-name, which is fine with me though.

It shouldn't.  Please provide an example including the headers and
your value of `message-recipients-without-full-name'.

> Never mind, I'll just do
> (defun jidanni-message-alter-recipients-discard-all-names (addrcell)
>   "Discard all names in mail addresses, because it looks neater"
>   (cons (car addrcell) (car addrcell)))
>
> (setq message-alter-recipients-function 'jidanni-message-alter-recipients-discard-all-names)
>
> P.S., hope this shows up in gmane.emacs.gnus.general...

Both articles did.  BTW, please don't Cc me.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: How to strip names out of To: and CC:
@ 2010-02-03 20:15             ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2010-02-03 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> hope this shows up in gmane.emacs.gnus.general...
RS> Both articles did.
I see. Since I was replying to a old thread, it didn't show up in
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general
http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general
however, one sees it in
http://rss.gmane.org/messages/excerpts/gmane.emacs.gnus.general
etc.

* Re: How to strip names out of To: and CC:
@ 2007-10-24 23:25               ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2007-10-24 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Oops, I meant

message-send-mail-hook is too late. Use message-header-setup-hook, or
else the user doesn't get to see the headers he will end up sending.
Thanks.

* Re: How to strip names out of To: and CC:
@ 2007-10-24 23:16             ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-10-24 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> message-send-mail-hook is too late. You meant message-send-mail-hook.

So what's the difference?

Can you make explicit requests or sentences?

Help people help you.

--
Bastien

* Re: How to strip names out of To: and CC:
@ 2007-10-24 22:06           ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2007-10-24 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

message-send-mail-hook is too late. You meant message-send-mail-hook.

In this debug trace,
      run-hooks(message-header-setup-hook)
      message-setup-1((((To .    "\"yapcheah@gmail.com\" <yapcheah@gmail.com>"...
Dan should focus his attention on ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      message-setup(...
      message-reply(nil nil)
      gnus-summary-reply(nil)
      call-interactively(gnus-summary-reply)

* Re: How to strip names out of To: and CC:
@ 2007-10-24 20:03         ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-10-24 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, Oct 24 2007, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

> Anyway, I see a bug: there is no way to make gnus do the
> aforementioned reasonable things via a reasonable way!

The manual says: "Gnus gives you all the opportunity you could
possibly want for shooting yourself in the foot."  I'm quite sure your
unreasonable thing doesn't require more than 5-10 lines of code
included in `message-send-mail-hook'.

The reasonable way is to read the "Emacs Lisp Intro: (eintr)" and some
similar code from `message.el'.  After finishing this exercise, you
will probably be able to provide many really useful patches for Gnus
in the future yourself.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: How to strip names out of To: and CC:
@ 2007-10-24 18:52       ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2007-10-24 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> setting the value of the variable `gnus-extract-address-components'
Ah! Of course. I can finally achieve the reasonable goals (no?) of
(describe-variable 'mail-extr-ignore-realname-equals-mailbox-name)
(describe-variable 'mail-extr-ignore-single-names)
to decrease the stupidity of my outgoing mail. Every little bit helps!

The key is to use
(setq gnus-extract-address-components 'mail-extract-address-components)

However, that doesn't work. That isn't apparently part of what happens
when one hits "r" (gnus-summary-reply). Instead that seems to be part
of what is called to do different things owhen setting up the *Summary*
buffer, which I don't want to affect. I only want to affect what
happens when I chose to reply to a message.

And one day when I finally achieve my aforementioned reasonable goals,
which you all must admit are very reasonable, I can go further,
to achieve the only part which you disagree with,
(setq mail-extr-full-name-prefixes ".+");wipe names completely

@ 2007-10-21  5:54     ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2007-10-21  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> Well here's how far I got:
> (defun jidanni-message-to-cc-no-names ()
>   "Strip the names out of To: and Cc:,
>  leaving just the addresses, for a more spartan style."
>   (let
>   (mapcar
>    (lambda(X)
>       ((X-content
> 	(mapcar
> 	 (lambda(x)(cadr x))
> 	 (mail-extract-address-components x t))))
>       (message-fetch-field "X"))
>    (message-goto-X)(message-delete-line);OR (message-remove-header X)?
>    (insert (concat "X: " X-content "\n")) (list to cc))))
>
> (add-hook 'message-header-setup-hook
> 	  'jidanni-message-to-cc-no-names)
>
> Of course it is just a jumble of Lisp Concepts in no special order
> that took several hours for me to amass.
>
> Or maybe I would be smarter to just hack the definition of
> mail-extract-address-components and gnus-extract-address-components to
> cause them to lose the names, but that would be like painting the
> traffic light green.

You might do better setting the value of the variable
`gnus-extract-address-components' to something that called an existing
method, expunged the name part, then returned the result.

Like others I /really/ don't think this is a good idea, but that
involves no hacking and minimal writing of code for your purposes.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Daniel Pittman <daniel@cybersource.com.au>           Phone: 03 9621 2377
Level 4, 10 Queen St, Melbourne             Web: http://www.cyber.com.au

* Re: How to strip names out of To: and CC:
@ 2007-10-20 19:30   ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2007-10-20 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

@ 2007-10-18 18:53 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-10-18 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, Oct 18 2007, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

> How can I use message-header-setup-hook
> to make
> To: Bob Dobbs <b@d.c>
> become
> To: b@d.c

`mail-extract-address-components'/`gnus-extract-address-components'

(I won't provide code because I consider it a bad idea.)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* How to strip names out of To: and CC:
@ 2007-10-18 17:42 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2007-10-18 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

How can I use message-header-setup-hook
to make
To: Bob Dobbs <b@d.c>
become
To: b@d.c

(Something like what mail-extr-ignore-single-names or
mail-extr-ignore-realname-equals-mailbox-name do but more intense.)