* IMAP and large attachments
@ 2002-03-19 22:03 Jody Klymak
From: Jody Klymak @ 2002-03-19 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I use Oort gnus 0.05 with an IMAP secondary server.  I sometimes get
longish email attachments from people.  When I try and view these
messages for the first time, gnus displays "imap read: xxx kb" and
proceeds to download the whole file.  Thats fine when I am at work,
but from a modem it really slows things down.

Now the nice thing is that it only happens the first time.  But I'd
like to prevent it from happening at all.   i.e. the Article buffer
shows me that there are attachments, but only downloads them if I act
upon them.  This seems to be the behaviour of other email clients.  Is
it possible in gnus?  Am I missing an easy variable?

Thanks,   Jody

--
Jody M. Klymak               mailto:jklymak@coas.oregonstate.edu
College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences

* Re: IMAP and large attachments
@ 2002-03-20  7:19 ` Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2002-03-20  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jody Klymak <jklymak@coas.oregonstate.edu> writes:

> Is it possible in gnus?

Not currently, no. Apparently (and this is way over my head)
supporting such behaviour would be difficult to implement.
See e.g.
<http://www.gnus.org/list-archives/ding/200202/msg00405.html>
for more details.

Niklas

* Re: IMAP and large attachments
@ 2002-03-22 20:13   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2002-03-22 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Jody Klymak <jklymak@coas.oregonstate.edu> writes:
>> Is it possible in gnus?

> Not currently, no. Apparently (and this is way over my head)
> supporting such behaviour would be difficult to implement.
> See e.g.
> <http://www.gnus.org/list-archives/ding/200202/msg00405.html>
> for more details.

Actually, what's touched on in the referred article, is the easy way
to implement this.  The difficult way to implement this, is a server
backend redesign.

The basic idea is have the nnimap back end replace all attachments
with message/external-body parts, containing IMAP URLs that can be
used to fetch them:
	<http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2017.html>
	<http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2192.html>