* nnrss.el, slight fix needed to make it work
@ 2001-04-03 13:23 Andrew J Cosgriff
From: Andrew J Cosgriff @ 2001-04-03 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just noticed this hanging about, and gave it a whirl, to find that
it barfed in url-is-cached, because url-cache-create-filename returned
nil..

I fixed it by changing nnrss-no-cache to return something bogus but
still valid, like "/tmp/x" (instead of ""), but I'm not sure what the
proper fix ought to be (Shenghuo ?)

Just showing the URL all by itself in the article like that isn't
incredibly useful, though.  Maybe the pseudo-message could be some
kind of (pseudo?-)MIME type, so users could (via means that already
exist, IIRC ?) choose to either automatically show the article inline.
Or not.

Apologies if you've already thought of this.  Good work, dude !

(Oh.  Hmm.  The Newsforge one seems to have some extra text in the
article, that's not in http://www.newsforge.com/newsforge.rdf - where
does it come from ?)

--
Andrew J Cosgriff <ajc@polydistortion.net> in a burned out basement...

* Re: nnrss.el, slight fix needed to make it work
@ 2001-04-03 15:32 ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2001-04-03 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew J Cosgriff <ajc@polydistortion.net> writes:

> I just noticed this hanging about, [...]

ah, I noticed this a couple of weeks ago as well, but my attempts to
get it working failed.  Other than the hack you preformed, what do you
have to do to get it working?  What should you specify as a server? (I
tried specifying nothing, which didn't seem to work for me...)

thanks,

--
Josh Huber

* Re: nnrss.el, slight fix needed to make it work
@ 2001-04-29 13:43 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-04-29 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew J Cosgriff <ajc@polydistortion.net> writes:

> I just noticed this hanging about, and gave it a whirl, to find that
> it barfed in url-is-cached, because url-cache-create-filename returned
> nil..
>
> I fixed it by changing nnrss-no-cache to return something bogus but
> still valid, like "/tmp/x" (instead of ""), but I'm not sure what the
> proper fix ought to be (Shenghuo ?)

I guess I did something wrong to disable the cache. Now, I temporarily
commented out that part of code. Hope it works.

> Just showing the URL all by itself in the article like that isn't
> incredibly useful, though.  Maybe the pseudo-message could be some
> kind of (pseudo?-)MIME type, so users could (via means that already
> exist, IIRC ?) choose to either automatically show the article inline.
> Or not.

I've thought about using message/external to show the content, but
most sites have a lots for tables which are not perfectly shown in
Emacs/W3.

> (Oh.  Hmm.  The Newsforge one seems to have some extra text in the
> article, that's not in http://www.newsforge.com/newsforge.rdf - where
> does it come from ?)

It comes from description tags in the RSS.

ShengHuo

* Re: nnrss.el, slight fix needed to make it work
@ 2001-04-29 13:44   ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-04-29 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh Huber <huber@alum.wpi.edu> writes:

> Andrew J Cosgriff <ajc@polydistortion.net> writes:
>
> > I just noticed this hanging about, [...]
>
> ah, I noticed this a couple of weeks ago as well, but my attempts to
> get it working failed.  Other than the hack you preformed, what do you
> have to do to get it working?  What should you specify as a server? (I
> tried specifying nothing, which didn't seem to work for me...)

In the group buffer, `B nnrss RET RET' will show you some built-in
groups. I've added this part in the texinfo file.

ShengHuo