* message-auto-save-directory affects auto-saving in Gnus
@ 1999-12-11 23:37 Hannu Koivisto
From: Hannu Koivisto @ 1999-12-11 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings,

I guess that the documentation (of that variable)

"""
*Directory where Message auto-saves buffers if Gnus isn't running.
If nil, Message won't auto-save.
"""

can be interpreted so that when the value of that variable is NIL,
Message will never auto-save (including when it is being run under
Gnus), and when it is something else, then Gnus finds its own
auto-save location anyway (which it demonstrably does; if I let
that variable have the default value "~/Mail/drafts/", Gnus still
finds a way to save my articles to a "~/News/drafts/drafts"
directory, which is very good since that's where my drafts folder
is (although I'm not sure why)) and only when used stand-alone,
Message uses that value.

For some reason I think that is silly.  Anyway, I want Message not
to auto-save when it is used stand-alone but I want it to auto-save
when it is run under Gnus.  If the described behaviour of changing
that variable is intended, is there any other way to achieve this
than to set it when Gnus is invoked and set it again to another
value when Message is invoked stand-alone?  I would prefer some
other approach.

--
Hannu

only message in thread, other threads:[~1999-12-11 23:37 UTC | newest]