* shr jumps after a while when encountering images
@ 2011-06-28 15:39 Antoine Levitt
From: Antoine Levitt @ 2011-06-28 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

This has been bugging me for quite a while now. Sometimes, when
rendering a HTML page with images, shr will scroll the page down (or
"up", as C-v puts it).

For instance, I display the last article of gwene.http.totaldickhead,
and then press SPC so as to have a portion of the second image visible,
but not entirely. Then, after what looks like a random amount of time
(it ranges from one to four seconds, and sometimes doesn't happen at
all), the page is scrolled down and I can see the image in its entirety.

This is even when the article is fully cached. Any idea where that comes
from?

* Re: shr jumps after a while when encountering images
@ 2011-06-28 20:54 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-06-28 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, Jun 28 2011, Antoine Levitt wrote:

> This is even when the article is fully cached. Any idea where that comes
> from?

Yes (just an idea): the length of the date header can change from one
second to the next, so it could be, that the date header suddenly needs
only one line instead of two (or the other way round). And that,
perhaps, triggers the vertical jump.

--
           Peter

* Re: shr jumps after a while when encountering images
@ 2011-06-28 22:23   ` Antoine Levitt
From: Antoine Levitt @ 2011-06-28 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

28/06/11 22:54, Peter Münster
> On Tue, Jun 28 2011, Antoine Levitt wrote:
>
>> This is even when the article is fully cached. Any idea where that comes
>> from?
>
> Yes (just an idea): the length of the date header can change from one
> second to the next, so it could be, that the date header suddenly needs
> only one line instead of two (or the other way round). And that,
> perhaps, triggers the vertical jump.

That would seem like a plausible explanation, but I have specifically
modified the article-lapsed-string to hard-code max-segments to 1, so
that I don't see seconds, and the date header does not change. Besides,
why would it jump down only when displaying images?

* Re: shr jumps after a while when encountering images
@ 2011-06-30  2:30 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-06-30  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt@gmail.com> writes:

> This has been bugging me for quite a while now. Sometimes, when
> rendering a HTML page with images, shr will scroll the page down (or
> "up", as C-v puts it).
>
> For instance, I display the last article of gwene.http.totaldickhead,
> and then press SPC so as to have a portion of the second image visible,
> but not entirely. Then, after what looks like a random amount of time
> (it ranges from one to four seconds, and sometimes doesn't happen at
> all), the page is scrolled down and I can see the image in its entirety.

Does bits of stuff in the buffer above the image disappear?  Or is it
the first image that gets inserted asynchronously?

* Re: shr jumps after a while when encountering images
@ 2011-06-30  9:14   ` Antoine Levitt
From: Antoine Levitt @ 2011-06-30  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

30/06/11 04:30, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
> Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> This has been bugging me for quite a while now. Sometimes, when
>> rendering a HTML page with images, shr will scroll the page down (or
>> "up", as C-v puts it).
>>
>> For instance, I display the last article of gwene.http.totaldickhead,
>> and then press SPC so as to have a portion of the second image visible,
>> but not entirely. Then, after what looks like a random amount of time
>> (it ranges from one to four seconds, and sometimes doesn't happen at
>> all), the page is scrolled down and I can see the image in its entirety.
>
> Does bits of stuff in the buffer above the image disappear?  Or is it
> the first image that gets inserted asynchronously?

Nothing disappears, nothing gets inserted, the buffer just gets
scrolled. This is the strange part : this happens _after_ the buffer is
rendered, even when the images are all on cache.

* Re: shr jumps after a while when encountering images
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-06-30 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt@gmail.com> writes:

> Nothing disappears, nothing gets inserted, the buffer just gets
> scrolled. This is the strange part : this happens _after_ the buffer is
> rendered, even when the images are all on cache.

I'm wondering whether this may be related to the lapsed timer, even if
it's not changing the amount of text in your buffer.

Could you disable it and see whether this goes away?

* Re: shr jumps after a while when encountering images
@ 2011-06-30 17:25       ` Antoine Levitt
From: Antoine Levitt @ 2011-06-30 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

30/06/11 19:03, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
> Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Nothing disappears, nothing gets inserted, the buffer just gets
>> scrolled. This is the strange part : this happens _after_ the buffer is
>> rendered, even when the images are all on cache.
>
> I'm wondering whether this may be related to the lapsed timer, even if
> it's not changing the amount of text in your buffer.
>
> Could you disable it and see whether this goes away?

Tried (setq article-lapsed-timer nil), and redefining
article-update-date-lapsed to nil, no effect. I also commented out my
.gnus to be sure, no effect either. If nobody can reproduce it, I'll try
and come up with a recipe from emacs -Q.

* Re: shr jumps after a while when encountering images
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-06-30 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt@gmail.com> writes:

> Tried (setq article-lapsed-timer nil), and redefining
> article-update-date-lapsed to nil, no effect. I also commented out my
> .gnus to be sure, no effect either. If nobody can reproduce it, I'll try
> and come up with a recipe from emacs -Q.

I can't reproduce it, at least.

* Re: shr jumps after a while when encountering images
@ 2011-07-01 19:46           ` Antoine Levitt
From: Antoine Levitt @ 2011-07-01 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

30/06/11 20:07, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
> Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Tried (setq article-lapsed-timer nil), and redefining
>> article-update-date-lapsed to nil, no effect. I also commented out my
>> .gnus to be sure, no effect either. If nobody can reproduce it, I'll try
>> and come up with a recipe from emacs -Q.
>
> I can't reproduce it, at least.

Alright, I bisected my .emacs and got it. I can reproduce the bug with
emacs -Q and

;;keep cursor at current position when scrolling
(setq scroll-preserve-screen-position 'stay)

No idea why this causes trouble, though.

I thought everybody would have this variable set anyway - is this not
the recommended way to get the type of scrolling most other software
use, or do people just prefer the default behaviour?

* Re: shr jumps after a while when encountering images
@ 2011-07-05 21:06             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-07-05 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt@gmail.com> writes:

> ;;keep cursor at current position when scrolling
> (setq scroll-preserve-screen-position 'stay)

Right.

> I thought everybody would have this variable set anyway - is this not
> the recommended way to get the type of scrolling most other software
> use, or do people just prefer the default behaviour?

I want point to remain between the same characters, not remain the same
position visually.  That would drive me insane.

* Re: shr jumps after a while when encountering images
@ 2011-07-05 21:13             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-07-05 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt@gmail.com> writes:

> ;;keep cursor at current position when scrolling
> (setq scroll-preserve-screen-position 'stay)

I'm able to reproduce what you're seeing with this setting, but I have
no idea what it's doing...