* summary start point on most "recent" message
@ 2011-01-26  1:04 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-01-26  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I recently switched my gnus-thread-sort-functions to
gnus-thread-sort-by-date, instead of having it sort by most *recent*
date, as it seemed that many movement commands expected a "newest at the
bottom" setup.

Now, when I enter a group with no unread messages (something I do a lot
for mail), point is at the top of the buffer, which used to be the most
recent message, but is now the oldest.

Is there some sort of "go to most recent message depending on sorting
strategy" function that I could hook into group entry? If not, I guess
I'm imagining a pair of functions that would move point to the
"top-sorted" (ie earliest date, smallest message number, beginning of
the alphabet) message and "bottom-sorted" message, respectively.

Or would those functions have to do too much guessing…?

Eric

* Re: summary start point on most "recent" message
@ 2011-01-27  1:23 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-01-27  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Is there some sort of "go to most recent message depending on sorting
> strategy" function that I could hook into group entry? If not, I guess
> I'm imagining a pair of functions that would move point to the
> "top-sorted" (ie earliest date, smallest message number, beginning of
> the alphabet) message and "bottom-sorted" message, respectively.

See `gnus-auto-select-subject'.  Just write a function so select
whatever you want, unless none of the predefined values fit your needs.

* Re: summary start point on most "recent" message
@ 2011-01-27  5:11   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-01-27  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, Jan 26 2011, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

>> Is there some sort of "go to most recent message depending on sorting
>> strategy" function that I could hook into group entry? If not, I guess
>> I'm imagining a pair of functions that would move point to the
>> "top-sorted" (ie earliest date, smallest message number, beginning of
>> the alphabet) message and "bottom-sorted" message, respectively.
>
> See `gnus-auto-select-subject'.  Just write a function so select
> whatever you want, unless none of the predefined values fit your needs.

That's the one, thank you!