* gnus-slave broken
@ 2011-01-26  4:10 Alex Romosan
From: Alex Romosan @ 2011-01-26  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

for a while now gnus-slave hasn't been reading any changes made by the
master gnus (read articles, new marks, etc) if the master is still
running (at least with the nnml backend that i use, other backends might
work, i didn't try). at that time i switched back to the gnus that comes
with emacs 23 but today i got bored so i decided to do a git bisect.

the first bad commit is:

7cce28b2d41e11d65102b8910ee9efc361b720ca: Add more changes related to the
new methodology for requesting backend data.

and it was made on Sept 4 (long time ago). a simple revert of the patch
doesn't work, but i did a 'git checkout
7cce28b2d41e11d65102b8910ee9efc361b720ca' which gave me a bad gnus-slave
and then i reverted the above commit and gnus-slave was once again able
to read changes made by the master while the master was still running.

i can try patches if somebody comes up with one. thanks.

--alex--

--
| I believe the moment is at hand when, by a paranoiac and active |
|  advance of the mind, it will be possible (simultaneously with  |

* Re: gnus-slave broken
@ 2011-01-27  2:01 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-01-27  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Alex Romosan <romosan@sycorax.lbl.gov> writes:

> for a while now gnus-slave hasn't been reading any changes made by the
> master gnus (read articles, new marks, etc) if the master is still
> running (at least with the nnml backend that i use, other backends might
> work, i didn't try).

Hm.  I think it should work independently of what backend you're using.
Could you check whether it's just for nnml or for all groups?

> at that time i switched back to the gnus that comes with emacs 23 but
> today i got bored so i decided to do a git bisect.
>
> the first bad commit is:
>
> 7cce28b2d41e11d65102b8910ee9efc361b720ca: Add more changes related to the
> new methodology for requesting backend data.

I looked at the patch, and I can't really see anything in it even
vaguely related to .newsrc.eld parsing.

Could this be related to backend marks instead?  Does setting
`gnus-use-backend-marks' to t fix the problem for you?

* Re: gnus-slave broken
@ 2011-01-27  3:35   ` Alex Romosan
From: Alex Romosan @ 2011-01-27  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Alex Romosan <romosan@sycorax.lbl.gov> writes:
>
>> the first bad commit is:
>>
>> 7cce28b2d41e11d65102b8910ee9efc361b720ca: Add more changes related to the
>> new methodology for requesting backend data.
>
> I looked at the patch, and I can't really see anything in it even
> vaguely related to .newsrc.eld parsing.
>
> Could this be related to backend marks instead?  Does setting
> `gnus-use-backend-marks' to t fix the problem for you?

i added (setq gnus-use-backend-marks t) to my .gnus but now when i try
to start the master gnus i get:

  gnus-get-function: No such function: nnml-request-update-info

this is with the latest gnus from git.

i'll try to figure out a way to switch backends to test this. any advice
on how to do it as painlessly as possible?

--alex--

--

@ 2011-01-27  3:38     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-01-27  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Alex Romosan <romosan@sycorax.lbl.gov> writes:

> i added (setq gnus-use-backend-marks t) to my .gnus but now when i try
> to start the master gnus i get:
>
>   gnus-get-function: No such function: nnml-request-update-info

`(setq debug-on-error t)', repeat the bug and post the resulting
backtrace.