* topic Subscribe parameter...
@ 2001-11-07 20:13 Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2001-11-07 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is this supposed to work?  I've started using nnml groups to archive
mail like so:

(defun jmh-save-archive ()
  (interactive)
  (gnus-summary-copy-article 1 (concat "archive." gnus-newsgroup-name)))

(add-hook 'gnus-summary-mode-hook
	  '(lambda ()
	     (local-set-key (kbd "C-c s") 'jmh-save-archive)))

(setq gnus-auto-subscribed-groups
      (concat gnus-auto-subscribed-groups
      "\\|^mail\\.\\|^archive\\."))

now, I discovered the subscribe parameter, and have a topic
"Archive".  I set the subscribe parameter of the Archive topic to:

"^archive"

But...when I save new messages to an archive group, and go back to the
*Group* buffer, and hit F, the new groups appear at the top of the
group buffer, instead of in the Archive topic.

Any ideas?
--
Josh Huber

* Re: topic Subscribe parameter...
@ 2001-11-08  8:04 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-11-08  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh Huber <huber@alum.wpi.edu> writes:

> (setq gnus-auto-subscribed-groups
>       (concat gnus-auto-subscribed-groups
>       "\\|^mail\\.\\|^archive\\."))

Are the groups really called "mail.foo" and "archive.bar"?  Maybe
they're called "nnml:mail.foo" and "nnml:archive.bar"?  Or
"nnml+mail:foo"?  Or something?

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: topic Subscribe parameter...
@ 2001-11-08 13:53   ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2001-11-08 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Are the groups really called "mail.foo" and "archive.bar"?  Maybe
> they're called "nnml:mail.foo" and "nnml:archive.bar"?  Or
> "nnml+mail:foo"?  Or something?

Well, my primary select method is nnml, so they wouldn't have that
attached to the front, correct?

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnml ""))
(setq mail-sources
      '((directory :path "~/incoming"
		   :suffix ".spool"
		   :plugged t)))

ttyl,

--

@ 2001-11-08 16:41     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-11-08 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh Huber <huber@alum.wpi.edu> writes:

> Well, my primary select method is nnml, so they wouldn't have that
> attached to the front, correct?

Could be.  Hm.  When you enter one of those groups, then say M-:
gnus-newsgroup-name RET, what do you see?  I tend to believe this
variable...

So maybe you have found one of the many as yet unknown bugs with
using a mail backend as the primary server?

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: topic Subscribe parameter...
@ 2001-11-08 21:10       ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2001-11-08 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Could be.  Hm.  When you enter one of those groups, then say M-:
> gnus-newsgroup-name RET, what do you see?  I tend to believe this
> variable...

They're just the group name (with no nnml: attached).

> So maybe you have found one of the many as yet unknown bugs with
> using a mail backend as the primary server?

Heh, perhaps this also has something to do with
(gnus-group-get-new-news ...) not reading mail from my spools?

Now I have two things to look for.

note that I have done the following as well:

(setq gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method 'gnus-subscribe-topics)

as per the help for the topic subscribe option. Any idea where I
should be looking for problems here?

ttyl,

--

@ 2001-11-08 21:21 ` Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 2001-11-08 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh Huber <huber@alum.wpi.edu> writes:

> Is this supposed to work?  I've started using nnml groups to archive
> mail like so:
>
> (defun jmh-save-archive ()
>   (interactive)
>   (gnus-summary-copy-article 1 (concat "archive." gnus-newsgroup-name)))
>
> (add-hook 'gnus-summary-mode-hook
> 	  '(lambda ()
> 	     (local-set-key (kbd "C-c s") 'jmh-save-archive)))
>
> (setq gnus-auto-subscribed-groups
>       (concat gnus-auto-subscribed-groups
>       "\\|^mail\\.\\|^archive\\."))
>
> now, I discovered the subscribe parameter, and have a topic
> "Archive".  I set the subscribe parameter of the Archive topic to:
>
> "^archive"
>
> But...when I save new messages to an archive group, and go back to the
> *Group* buffer, and hit F, the new groups appear at the top of the
> group buffer, instead of in the Archive topic.
>
> Any ideas?

Do you have gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method set to
'gnus-subscribe-topics?

It looks like that is how you get the 'archive' topic parameter to
work.

--
matt

* Re: topic Subscribe parameter...
@ 2001-11-08 22:17   ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2001-11-08 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Matt Armstrong" <matt+dated+1007846494.7bc846@lickey.com> writes:

> Do you have gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method set to
> 'gnus-subscribe-topics?

Yes, sorry.  I posted this is my most recent followup to this thread.

I suppose I'll trace the code and see what I can find.

ttyl,

--

@ 2001-11-10  2:16         ` Daniel Néri
From: Daniel Néri @ 2001-11-10  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

huber@alum.wpi.edu (Josh Huber) writes:

> note that I have done the following as well:
>
> (setq gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method 'gnus-subscribe-topics)

I tried to get this to work myself ages ago w/o success. But I just
took a dive into it again, and found the missing clue in the docs for
gnus-auto-subscribed-groups:

   New groups that match this regexp will not be handled by
   `gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method'.  Instead, they will
   be subscribed using `gnus-subscribe-options-newsgroup-method'.

Best wishes,
    --Daniel

--
Daniel Neri
dne@mayonnaise.net

* Re: topic Subscribe parameter...
@ 2001-11-10  4:39           ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2001-11-10  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

dne@mayonnaise.net (Daniel Néri) writes:

>    New groups that match this regexp will not be handled by
>    `gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method'.  Instead, they will be
>    subscribed using `gnus-subscribe-options-newsgroup-method'.

Damn, serves me right for not reading the docs.  Perhaps this should
be mentioned in the group configuration help?

it's working now, and I see the code which handles this case now.

thanks for the tip,

--
Josh Huber