Gnus development mailing list
* Possible to toggle server open/closed without caching articles with the agent?
@ 2020-09-08 14:32 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2020-09-08 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I have one server that isn't handled by the agent, becaue I don't want
agent to cache the articles from it (because the articles are mostly
noise...) and that is news.gwene.org.

Is it possible to make 'J j' close this server and open this server
again, with the agentized servers, without adding the server to the
agent and thereby start doing caching?

Thanks!

- Steinar

* Re: Possible to toggle server open/closed without caching articles with the agent?
@ 2020-09-08 17:41 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-09-08 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> I have one server that isn't handled by the agent, becaue I don't want
> agent to cache the articles from it (because the articles are mostly
> noise...) and that is news.gwene.org.
>
> Is it possible to make 'J j' close this server and open this server
> again, with the agentized servers, without adding the server to the
> agent and thereby start doing caching?

Your goal is to go unplugged, but not cache any articles, right? My
impression was that if you don't use "J s" to explicitly download
eligible articles, the agent won't do anything. Is that not correct?

* Re: Possible to toggle server open/closed without caching articles with the agent?
@ 2020-09-09  6:19   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-09-09  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tuesday,  8 Sep 2020 at 10:41, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> Your goal is to go unplugged, but not cache any articles, right? My
> impression was that if you don't use "J s" to explicitly download
> eligible articles, the agent won't do anything. Is that not correct?

I believe (but unverified) that any article you read will be cached in
the agent's store.

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.3.7 on Debian bullseye/sid

* Re: Possible to toggle server open/closed without caching articles with the agent?
@ 2020-09-09 15:04     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2020-09-09 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I believe (but unverified) that any article you read will be cached in
> the agent's store.

Yes.  That was the behaviour the agent had last time I checked.

(mind you, last time I checked was around 20 years ago...)

* Re: Possible to toggle server open/closed without caching articles with the agent?
@ 2020-09-09 18:11       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-09-09 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> I believe (but unverified) that any article you read will be cached in
>> the agent's store.
>
> Yes.  That was the behaviour the agent had last time I checked.
>
> (mind you, last time I checked was around 20 years ago...)

Oh I see, yes. I don't think there's a knob for that, but you can make
sure agent expiry is on, and set `gnus-agent-expire-days' to 1 or
something. If that doesn't slim down locally-cached data then it's a
bug!