* Agent And Mail
@ 2011-01-23 14:48 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-01-23 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nognus

The gnus manual suggests that it might be nonsensical to have a mail
back end agentized?

Why? It actually seems the best approach for maintaining a local copy of
a certain subset of mails.

For a long time now I have relied on offlineimap and a local dovecot
server. offlineimap has mucked up once too often (3 machines downloading
all 30000 emails again..) and I have decided to revert to a direct gmail
connection : in this scenario I have a group (gmail) with all messages
read - I would like to C-u 1000 /o to fetch the last 1000 messages and
then have the agent fetch those emails and store locally so that I can
peruse them in offline mode. Possible? (I tried and it doesnt work for
me - I have to open an email in unplugged mode for that email to be
marked for fetch next time I do a J s).

* Re: Agent And Mail
@ 2011-01-23 16:03 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-01-23 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nognus

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> The gnus manual suggests that it might be nonsensical to have a mail
> back end agentized?
>
> Why? It actually seems the best approach for maintaining a local copy of
> a certain subset of mails.

Re-readimg I guess it means a backend that is local mail - not referring
to an imap remote conenction.

The rest remains relevant however:

@ 2011-01-23 21:13 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-01-23 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> I would like to C-u 1000 /o to fetch the last 1000 messages and
> then have the agent fetch those emails and store locally so that I can
> peruse them in offline mode. Possible?

`J #' marks articles as downloadable.

* Re: Agent And Mail
@ 2011-01-23 23:01   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-01-23 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> I would like to C-u 1000 /o to fetch the last 1000 messages and
>> then have the agent fetch those emails and store locally so that I can
>> peruse them in offline mode. Possible?
>
> `J #' marks articles as downloadable.

Would it be possible to have it default to all articles in the region
too?

* Re: Agent And Mail
@ 2011-01-23 23:09     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-01-23 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> Would it be possible to have it default to all articles in the region
> too?

No.  Just use the process-mark-meta-function thingie to do that, if you
want.

* Re: Agent And Mail
@ 2011-01-23 23:14       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-01-23 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Would it be possible to have it default to all articles in the region
>> too?
>
> No.  Just use the process-mark-meta-function thingie to do that, if you
> want.

Could you elaborate a little. The process-mark-meta-function thingie? ;)

* Re: Agent And Mail
@ 2011-01-23 23:26         ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-01-23 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> Could you elaborate a little. The process-mark-meta-function thingie? ;)

`M-&'.  Just process-mark the region you want with one of the gazillion
process-mark commands, and then use that command to work on the marked
articles.

I'm pretty sure this is in the manual...  somewhere...

* Re: Agent And Mail
@ 2011-01-23 23:38           ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-01-23 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Could you elaborate a little. The process-mark-meta-function thingie? ;)
>
> `M-&'.  Just process-mark the region you want with one of the gazillion
> process-mark commands, and then use that command to work on the marked
> articles.
>
> I'm pretty sure this is in the manual...  somewhere...

Hmmm. Probably...

Like most things. But unless you know how it works and where to look its
kind of hard to fine ;) Thanks for the pointer.

* Re: Agent And Mail
@ 2011-01-24  0:14           ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-01-24  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Could you elaborate a little. The process-mark-meta-function thingie? ;)
>
> `M-&'.  Just process-mark the region you want with one of the gazillion
> process-mark commands, and then use that command to work on the marked
> articles.
>
> I'm pretty sure this is in the manual...  somewhere...

ok ...

So "#" on articles I am interested in. The M-& J #

* Re: Agent And Mail
@ 2011-01-24  8:05           ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-01-24  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Could you elaborate a little. The process-mark-meta-function thingie? ;)
>
> `M-&'.  Just process-mark the region you want with one of the gazillion
> process-mark commands, and then use that command to work on the marked
> articles.

That's probably the dumb question of the week, but why using `M-&'
whereas process mark the region and do the wanted command looks
sufficient. And some commands just do that.

Thanks
--
Francis

* Re: Agent And Mail
@ 2011-01-24  8:12             ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-01-24  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> That's probably the dumb question of the week, but why using `M-&'
> whereas process mark the region and do the wanted command looks
> sufficient. And some commands just do that.

It would be silly for commands like `d' to do process/prefix stuff.  The
commands that naturally do process/prefix do.

* Re: agent and mail
@ 1999-07-19 12:59   ` lconrad
From: lconrad @ 1999-07-19 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Kai> RXmi FACKEURE <ref@linuxfreak.com> writes:
    >> Here is another thing i do not get. Well I set gnus-agentize
    >> and it seems to work. I lauchn gnus with gnus-unplugged, but
    >> then i cannot receive new mail, even local mail, being
    >> unplugged. And if i plug it checks the nntp server too which
    >> Gnus will never find because i'm not connected via ppp.

    Kai> This is normal behavior.  Gnus just expects that people who
    Kai> use the agent have a dialup connection and can't receive mail
    Kai> when unplugged, either.

When I was using the agent, I had it set up so that when I did "g"
while plugged, it got my mail from my local mail spool, and when I did
it unplugged, it got the news that had been downloaded.  I think the
relevant parts of my .gnus.el were:

;read news from the server on world
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.std.com"))

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnml "private")))

It must have been trying to contact the nntp server when I did "g"
while plugged, but it didn't take long for it to give up.

    Kai> If you wish to have a semi-plugged behavior, maybe you'll be
    Kai> better off installing Leafnode on your machine and then using
    Kai> Gnus normally (ie plugged) but point it at the Leafnode on
    Kai> your machine.

This is what I have switched to.  I don't really like it, because
leafnode is pretty slow on my setup, but it does work, and seems a
more intuitive interface than the "J j g J j g" thing I had to use for
getting mail and news with the agent.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad@world.std.com , http://www.world.std.com/~lconrad/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (801) 365-6574

* Re: agent and mail
@ 1999-07-19 11:09 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-07-19 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

RXmi FACKEURE <ref@linuxfreak.com> writes:

> Here is another thing i do not get. Well I set gnus-agentize and it
> seems to work. I lauchn gnus with gnus-unplugged, but then i cannot
> receive new mail, even local mail, being unplugged. And if i plug it
> checks the nntp server too which Gnus will never find because i'm not
> connected via ppp.

This is normal behavior.  Gnus just expects that people who use the
agent have a dialup connection and can't receive mail when unplugged,
either.

If you wish to have a semi-plugged behavior, maybe you'll be better
off installing Leafnode on your machine and then using Gnus normally
(ie plugged) but point it at the Leafnode on your machine.

> another thing, still in Agent, how could i edit a message send with agent ?
>  You know it is dropped in Drafts before being really sent, and this way you
>  can edit it... Actually, i swith to draft-mode and thne chekc with g to see
>  the messages in the drafts.queue and open the box and perform a D e
> command but how to resend or better queue again the message ?
> Actually a C-c C-c queues an answer to the message i wanted to edit...

Strange.  I would expect `D e' then editing, then `C-c C-c' to do the
right thing.

> oh, btw, what ia a "hook" ? I do not now nothing about eamcs, lisp and
> i really wonder what this stuff is :-)

A hook is just a variable, but it contains Lisp code rather than a
number of a string.  And most Emacs packages are written such that
they execute the code in such variables at predefined points during
their operation.  Gnus has a lot of hooks.  With hooks, you can do
more customization than by just setting other variables -- you can
write a function which does stuff based on the phase of the moon, say,
and then add this function to a hook, and soon you have an Emacs with
behavior dependent on the phase of the moon!

Together with midnight.el this might be a way to remind one when one's
girlfriend is likely to be petulant (? right word?) ;-)

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* agent and mail
@ 1999-07-19  8:59 Rémi FACKEURE
From: Rémi FACKEURE @ 1999-07-19  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello !

Here is another thing i do not get. Well I set gnus-agentize and it
seems to work. I lauchn gnus with gnus-unplugged, but then i cannot
receive new mail, even local mail, being unplugged. And if i plug it
checks the nntp server too which Gnus will never find because i'm not
connected via ppp.

I went into the server buffer (^) and i saw that news2.nordnet.fr was
covered by the agent but not the mail groups. Is there something i
didn't understand (for a change) ?

another thing, still in Agent, how could i edit a message send with agent ?
 You know it is dropped in Drafts before being really sent, and this way you
 can edit it... Actually, i swith to draft-mode and thne chekc with g to see
 the messages in the drafts.queue and open the box and perform a D e
command but how to resend or better queue again the message ?
Actually a C-c C-c queues an answer to the message i wanted to edit...

thank you in advance :)

oh, btw, what ia a "hook" ? I do not now nothing about eamcs, lisp and
i really wonder what this stuff is :-)

later,