* Gnus mock package for testing Gnus
@ 2018-10-13 16:06 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-10-13 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello Gnus hackers and bughunters,

I've just put a package on Elpa called gnus-mock, which provides a dummy
Gnus installation that you can use for hunting bugs, or working on Gnus
features. You run M-x gnus-mock-start, and it will start up a second
Emacs process, with Gnus pre-configured to use a dummy setup, complete
with fake mail data, that you can wreck to your heart's content. When it
gets too messy you just kill the second Emacs process, restart it, and
everything's back the way it was.

It also comes with a little Python script as a fake sendmail program, so
you can send yourself emails in a little loop. If anyone's on Windows,
I'd appreciate testing of this feature, as I don't have access to a
Windows machine and it's a bit of a guess.

My hope is that this will make it easier to hunt bugs, report bugs,
profile Gnus, and develop new features, without endangering your own
mail data.

Right now it only comes with a single nnmaildir server; future plans
include adding more servers, including looking for a "dovecot"
executable and maybe setting up a nnimap server.

Enjoy!
Eric

only message in thread, other threads:[~2018-10-13 16:06 UTC | newest]