* Re: Sharing gnus between 2 machines
       [not found] <871u7fbmtv.fsf@free.fr>
@ 2013-07-05  9:11 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-07-05  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

> I'm looking for examples of successful setups of gnus shared between
> several machines. Here is what I have so far:

[...]

> I guess I'm not the only one with similar objectives. Could you share
> your strategy to accomplish it ?

I have similar objectives.  My setup is as follows: I use nnimap with
the gnus agent.  I synchronise three computers (desktops in office and
home and laptop) using unison.  My typical usage is to have the agent
fetch all emails on a desktop, then synchronise the file system with the
laptop, head out and use gnus unplugged (e.g. on the train to/from
work), connect the laptop at the other destination, synchronise again,
start up gnus on the desktop and send all queued messages.  Repeat whole
process at the other end of the day...

The only weakness in this system is that the agent gets confused every
so often, especially it seems if I use one of my phones or tablets to
access my work server (with is MS based unfortunately).  I then need to
empty the agent cache and re-load all emails.

I do not download all folders from my mail servers, however.  I also do
not use the registry as I haven't figure this out yet... ;-)

HTH,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xFFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 + Ma Gnus v0.8 + evil 1.0.5

* Re: Sharing gnus between 2 machines
@ 2013-07-09 11:03   ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2013-07-09 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I have similar objectives.  My setup is as follows: I use nnimap with
> the gnus agent.  I synchronise three computers (desktops in office and
> home and laptop) using unison.  My typical usage is to have the agent
> fetch all emails on a desktop, then synchronise the file system with the
> laptop, head out and use gnus unplugged (e.g. on the train to/from
> work), connect the laptop at the other destination, synchronise again,
> start up gnus on the desktop and send all queued messages.  Repeat whole
> process at the other end of the day...

That's what I'm doing at the moment.

> The only weakness in this system is that the agent gets confused every
> so often, especially it seems if I use one of my phones or tablets to
> access my work server (with is MS based unfortunately).  I then need to
> empty the agent cache and re-load all emails.

What confusion does the agent exhibit. For me, it's mostly the
read/old/expired statuses that gets messed up.

> I do not download all folders from my mail servers, however.  I also do
> not use the registry as I haven't figure this out yet... ;-)

I'll try without the registry for a while, and see if it improves.

Julien.

* Re: Sharing gnus between 2 machines
@ 2013-07-09 16:50     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-07-09 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

[...]

> What confusion does the agent exhibit. For me, it's mostly the
> read/old/expired statuses that gets messed up.

Yes, this is one confusion.  Another is that an article will become
inaccessible, as if I were unplugged and trying to access an article
that had not been downloaded.  When I try to access the article, gnus
tells me it has marked it for downloading, even when I am plugged in,
and never does download it.  Very strange.  I can read most articles not
yet downloaded so long as I am plugged in but not always.

--

@ 2013-07-09 18:09       ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2013-07-09 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> What confusion does the agent exhibit. For me, it's mostly the
>> read/old/expired statuses that gets messed up.
>
> Yes, this is one confusion.  Another is that an article will become
> inaccessible, as if I were unplugged and trying to access an article
> that had not been downloaded.  When I try to access the article, gnus
> tells me it has marked it for downloading, even when I am plugged in,
> and never does download it. Very strange.  I can read most articles not
> yet downloaded so long as I am plugged in but not always.

That's what I get too.