* mailing list / gateway problems
@ 2011-02-23 15:06 Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2011-02-23 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gnus Beta Testers

  Hello,

I've just realized that I haven't recieved any mail on ding@ for at
least two months. I've been unsubscribed for unknown reasons several
times in the past, but this time I've re-subscribed and still don't
receive anything.

So I'm wondering if the gateway works correctly. I can see on gmane that
my mails from yesterday went through, but on the other hand, none of the
recent mails on gmane.emacs.gnus.general show up in my ding@gnus.org
group.

Something else that I don't understand: I subscribed to the gnus.ding
*newsgroup* but the most recent message that shows up is 3 years old.

Thanks for your help!

Now trying to 'C y' gnus.emacs.gnus which has 54941 articles... last
time, it took 2 hours...

--
Resistance is futile. You will be jazzimilated.

Scientific site:   http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier
Music (Jazz) site: http://www.didierverna.com

* Re: mailing list / gateway problems
@ 2011-02-25  3:04 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-25  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Didier Verna <didier@xemacs.org> writes:

> So I'm wondering if the gateway works correctly. I can see on gmane that
> my mails from yesterday went through, but on the other hand, none of the
> recent mails on gmane.emacs.gnus.general show up in my ding@gnus.org
> group.

Hm...  I think the mailing list should be working fine.  Perhaps you
were dropped off the subscription list?  Try resubscribing.

> Something else that I don't understand: I subscribed to the gnus.ding
> *newsgroup* but the most recent message that shows up is 3 years old.

On news.gnus.org?  Hm, haven't checked that in a while -- I've just been
using Gmane for the list.

* Re: mailing list / gateway problems
@ 2011-02-25  3:49 ` Jason L Tibbitts III
From: Jason L Tibbitts III @ 2011-02-25  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gnus Beta Testers

dvl> I've just realized that I haven't recieved any mail on ding@ for at
dvl> least two months. I've been unsubscribed for unknown reasons
dvl> several times in the past, but this time I've re-subscribed and
dvl> still don't receive anything.

Well, the "unknown reasons" are simply "you bounced a bunch of
consecutive messages, and then bounced all of the probes".  xemacs.org
just seems to bounce stuff every so often.  If that causes problems for
you, I guess I could suggest using a more reliable host for your mail.

As for why you haven't received anything, blame xemacs.org's greylisting
setup:

2011-02-24 21:02:02 1Psnw6-0007Ir-VB == didier@xemacs.org R=dnslookup
T=remote_smtp defer (-44): SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT
TO:<didier@xemacs.org>:
host mail.xemacs.org [207.172.156.133]: 451 4.7.1 Greylisting in action,
please come back later

 - J<

* Re: mailing list / gateway problems
@ 2011-02-25  7:58   ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2011-02-25  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason L Tibbitts III; +Cc: Gnus Beta Testers

"Jason L Tibbitts III" <tibbs@math.uh.edu> wrote:

> dvl> I've just realized that I haven't recieved any mail on ding@ for at
> dvl> least two months. I've been unsubscribed for unknown reasons
> dvl> several times in the past, but this time I've re-subscribed and
> dvl> still don't receive anything.
>
> Well, the "unknown reasons" are simply "you bounced a bunch of
> consecutive messages, and then bounced all of the probes".  xemacs.org
> just seems to bounce stuff every so often.  If that causes problems for
> you, I guess I could suggest using a more reliable host for your mail.
>
> As for why you haven't received anything, blame xemacs.org's greylisting
> setup:
>
> 2011-02-24 21:02:02 1Psnw6-0007Ir-VB == didier@xemacs.org R=dnslookup
> T=remote_smtp defer (-44): SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT
> TO:<didier@xemacs.org>:
> host mail.xemacs.org [207.172.156.133]: 451 4.7.1 Greylisting in action,
> please come back later

  OK, I've re-subscribed again and it seems to work this time. If this
happens again, I guess I'll subscribe with another email address.

--

@ 2011-02-25 20:00   ` Michael Cook
From: Michael Cook @ 2011-02-25 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gnus Beta Testers

"Jason L Tibbitts III" <tibbs@math.uh.edu> writes:

> Well, the "unknown reasons" are simply "you bounced a bunch of
> consecutive messages, and then bounced all of the probes".  xemacs.org
> just seems to bounce stuff every so often.  If that causes problems for
> you, I guess I could suggest using a more reliable host for your mail.

That used to happen to me frequently -- for ding@ and for other
mailing lists.  It turned out my email service provider
(godaddy.com) was using IP address blacklists to refuse email from
certain senders.  (They didn't make it clear they were doing this
filtering, and there was no way to disable it.)  For any mailing
list I would subscribe to, eventually enough people would send mail
from blacklisted IP addresses and I would get unsubscribed.

I stopped using that email service provider.

Michael