* Marking articles after bb493e5
@ 2011-02-15  3:00 Raphael Kubo da Costa
From: Raphael Kubo da Costa @ 2011-02-15  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hey there,

Starting from commit bb493e5, by default I seem to be unable to store my
marks in the backends -- that is, if I mark an IMAP message as read, its
\Seen flag is not set on the server, so the next time I press 'g' in the
group buffer I the unread message count will go up again, and the
message will be shown as unread when I enter the summary buffer.

The same also seems to be true to the nntp backend.

Things seem to work fine again when I set gnus-propagate-marks to t. Am
I missing something here?

* Re: Marking articles after bb493e5
@ 2011-02-15 13:06 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-02-15 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raphael Kubo da Costa; +Cc: ding

Raphael Kubo da Costa <kubito@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Raphael,

> Starting from commit bb493e5, by default I seem to be unable to store
> my marks in the backends -- that is, if I mark an IMAP message as
> read, its \Seen flag is not set on the server, so the next time I
> press 'g' in the group buffer I the unread message count will go up
> again, and the message will be shown as unread when I enter the
> summary buffer.

I'm facing the same issue for an IMAP server that greets

  * OK mail Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.12 server ready

but for another one greeting

  * OK IMAP4 ready

I don't have that issue, i.e., what was read stays as read after `g'.

> Things seem to work fine again when I set gnus-propagate-marks to
> t.

I can confirm that, too.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: Marking articles after bb493e5
@ 2011-02-16 20:42 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-16 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Raphael Kubo da Costa <kubito@gmail.com> writes:

> Things seem to work fine again when I set gnus-propagate-marks to t. Am
> I missing something here?

Sorry!  I don't know what I was thinking...  I've now flipped that
variable to nil again.

I think what I was after was trying to avoid having the -marks functions
called by default on backends like nntp, which isn't very useful.  (And
it's slow.)  But, of course, this made the marks functions not being
called on nnimap, too, so I'll have to find a different way to do that.