* Support moving articles in Agent?
@ 2002-10-05 21:32 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-10-05 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

What needs to be done to support moving articles while unplugged?  I
think that would be a nifty feature.

kai

* Re: Support moving articles in Agent?
@ 2002-10-06  0:38 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-10-06  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> What needs to be done to support moving articles while unplugged?  I
> think that would be a nifty feature.

Make nnagent remember data in calls to e.g. request-move-article and
invoke it when plugging back in (see `nnagent-request-set-mark' for an
approach to achieve this).  One problem is, which article number do
you assign new articles?  If the backend is e.g. nnimap, you cannot
simply pick one (since the server decides this) unless you do
something clever.  Using negative article numbers might work though,
although you must make sure moving the same article several times
between groups while unplugged doesn't make Gnus do strange things.

* Re: Support moving articles in Agent?
@ 2002-10-06  8:16   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-10-06  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Make nnagent remember data in calls to e.g. request-move-article and
> invoke it when plugging back in (see `nnagent-request-set-mark' for an
> approach to achieve this).  One problem is, which article number do
> you assign new articles?  If the backend is e.g. nnimap, you cannot
> simply pick one (since the server decides this) unless you do
> something clever.  Using negative article numbers might work though,
> although you must make sure moving the same article several times
> between groups while unplugged doesn't make Gnus do strange things.

Maybe a first approach would be to leave the articles where they are
and just remember that they have been moved.  So the user types `B m'
on a message and the summary line changes somehow to indicate this,
but otherwise nothing obvious happens.  Then, when synchronizing
flags, Gnus really moves the message.

Another possibility might be to pseudo-insert the message into the
target group while unplugged.  For crossposted articles, it is
already possible for `^' to display an article in a group which
doesn't actually occur there.  Maybe a similar mechanism could be
used to display moved-while-offline articles in the target group.
What do you think?

kai