* Sending a utf-8 mail...
@ 2002-05-16  2:49 Jinhyok Heo
From: Jinhyok Heo @ 2002-05-16  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I send a mail mixed with different kinds of charsets, gnus
separates into many parts, each of which contains only one charset.
And when I try to send a utf-8 text attachment, same problem occurs.

I don't want that. I just want to send a mail of one part as a utf-8.

I think it can be solved if gnus finds more than one charset in a
mail, then it takes that mail as a utf-8, not trying to separate.

Is it possible?

--
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------
| "We are still reaching for the sky. In the developed countries people
|  are coming back down, saying, `It's empty up there.'" --- a Ladakhi monk

* Re: Sending a utf-8 mail...
@ 2002-05-16 11:43 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-05-16 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jinhyok Heo <novembre+dated+1021948567.e64e9d@ournature.org> writes:

> When I send a mail mixed with different kinds of charsets, gnus
> separates into many parts, each of which contains only one charset.
> And when I try to send a utf-8 text attachment, same problem occurs.
>
> I don't want that. I just want to send a mail of one part as a utf-8.

If your XEmacs groks UTF-8, it might help to increase the preference
for UTF-8 in XEmacs.  See the variable coding-category-list and the
function set-coding-priority.  (If they are in XEmacs.)

kai
--
Silence is foo!

* Displaying an utf-8 message (Was: Sending a utf-8 mail...)
@ 2002-05-24 22:44   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2002-05-24 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> If your XEmacs groks UTF-8,

Which XEmacsen will?  Will XEmacs 21.4 compiled with MULE understand
UTF-8?  Can it be made to understand UTF-8?

How can I find out?

> it might help to increase the preference for UTF-8 in XEmacs.  See
> the variable coding-category-list and the function
> set-coding-priority.  (If they are in XEmacs.)

`C-h v' and `C-h f' came up empty on both the variable and the
function on XEmacs 21.4 on a debian testing system.

* Re: Displaying an utf-8 message (Was: Sending a utf-8 mail...)
@ 2002-05-25 10:15     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2002-05-25 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> If your XEmacs groks UTF-8,

> Which XEmacsen will?  Will XEmacs 21.4 compiled with MULE understand
> UTF-8?  Can it be made to understand UTF-8?

What I had to do, on a debian testing system, was to do
	apt-get install mule-ucs
and restart XEmacs and Gnus after the installation had finished.

Then UTF-8 support was in place.

I love debian!

* Re: Displaying an utf-8 message (Was: Sending a utf-8 mail...)
@ 2002-06-12 20:17       ` Andreas Bogk
From: Andreas Bogk @ 2002-06-12 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> What I had to do, on a debian testing system, was to do
> 	apt-get install mule-ucs
> and restart XEmacs and Gnus after the installation had finished.
>
> Then UTF-8 support was in place.

I've used that configuration, and was neither able to send utf-8 news
postings nor postings with mixed iso-8859-1 and iso-8859-15 content.

After removing the gnus and mule-ucs Debian package, installing the
CVS version of Oort Gnus, and the mule-ucs package from the XEmacs
package management system, I can now unify latin1 and latin9, but
still no lock with sending utf-8 mails.

I've looked through the code a little, and did whatever seemed likely
to help, but still I was unable to send utf-8 mails.

Here's what I did:

(require 'un-define)
(latin-unity-install)

(set-coding-priority-list '(utf-8))
(set-coding-category-system 'utf-8 'utf-8)
(put-charset-property 'latin-iso-8859-1 'preferred-coding-system 'utf-8)
;(prefer-coding-system 'utf-8) ; doesn't work with XEmacs 21.4
(setq gnus-default-posting-charset 'utf-8)
(setq gnus-group-charset-alist
  '(("de.alt.test" utf-8)
    (".*" iso-8859-1)))
(setq gnus-group-posting-charset-alist
  '(("de.alt.test" utf-8 (utf-8))
    (message-this-is-mail nil nil)
    (message-this-is-news nil t)))
(setq mm-coding-system-priorities '(utf-8))
(put-charset-property 'iso-8859-1 'preferred-coding-system 'utf-8)

I'm out of ideas here. Anybody ever *really* used utf-8 with Gnus and
XEmacs?

Andreas

--
"In my eyes it is never a crime to steal knowledge. It is a good
theft. The pirate of knowledge is a good pirate."