* How to read utf-8 mails?
@ 2001-12-04 15:08 Jinhyok Heo
From: Jinhyok Heo @ 2001-12-04 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can I read utf-8 mails with Gnus?
For now I use cvs gnus, and utf-8 mails are all Greek to me.

--
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------
| "We are still reaching for the sky. In the developed countries people
|  are coming back down, saying, `It's empty up there.'" --- a Ladakhi monk

* Re: How to read utf-8 mails?
@ 2001-12-04 15:51 ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2001-12-04 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jinhyok Heo <novembreN0$PAM@ournature.org> writes:

>Can I read utf-8 mails with Gnus?
>For now I use cvs gnus, and utf-8 mails are all Greek to me.

You must have a unicode enabled Emacs. For that you could try Emacs 21
(perhaps together with mule-ucs), or the ucs-conv package for XEmacs.

Perhaps you'd like to try the xemacs21.5 beta branch called ben-mule, it
has native unicode support.

--
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

* Re: How to read utf-8 mails?
@ 2001-12-04 16:34 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-12-04 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jinhyok Heo <novembreN0$PAM@ournature.org> writes:

> Can I read utf-8 mails with Gnus?
> For now I use cvs gnus, and utf-8 mails are all Greek to me.

Gnus can do UTF-8 if Emacs can.  I think for XEmacs you can use
recent versions of Mule-UCS, or maybe a package called ucsconv.  But
I don't use XEmacs, so I'm not sure.

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)

* Re: How to read utf-8 mails?
@ 2001-12-05  1:14   ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2001-12-05  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 04 Dec 2001, Kai Großjohann wrote:
> Jinhyok Heo <novembreN0$PAM@ournature.org> writes:
>
>> Can I read utf-8 mails with Gnus?
>> For now I use cvs gnus, and utf-8 mails are all Greek to me.
>
> Gnus can do UTF-8 if Emacs can.  I think for XEmacs you can use
> recent versions of Mule-UCS, or maybe a package called ucsconv.  But
> I don't use XEmacs, so I'm not sure.

This is correct: I use the Mule-UCS package with a recent XEmacs and it
works just fine for reading UTF-8 mail.

        Daniel

--
A cathedral, a wave of a storm, a dancer's leap,
never turn out to be as high as we had hoped.

* Re: How to read utf-8 mails?
@ 2001-12-05  2:50     ` Jinhyok Heo
From: Jinhyok Heo @ 2001-12-05  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

    DP> This is correct: I use the Mule-UCS package with a recent XEmacs and it
    DP> works just fine for reading UTF-8 mail.

I've just installed Mule-UCS-0.84 with XEmacs-21.4.5. And it's working
well. :-)

Thanks,

--

@ 2001-12-05  3:25       ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2001-12-05  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 05 Dec 2001, Jinhyok Heo wrote:

>     DP> This is correct: I use the Mule-UCS package with a recent
>     DP> XEmacs and it works just fine for reading UTF-8 mail.
>
> I've just installed Mule-UCS-0.84 with XEmacs-21.4.5. And it's working
> well. :-)

The one point to note is that you must have Mule-UCS loaded *before* you
start or load Gnus. I am not sure exactly when it looks for the coding
system but if you load Mule-UCS later then Gnus is unaware of it's
presence...

        Daniel

--
Good teaching in our schools leads to risk taking.
        -- Prof. Jacob Neusner, commencement address, 1991

* Re: How to read utf-8 mails?
@ 2001-12-05 11:40     ` Vincent Bernat
From: Vincent Bernat @ 2001-12-05 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

OoO En cette nuit striée d'éclairs du mercredi 05 décembre 2001, vers
02:14, Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> disait:

> This is correct: I use the Mule-UCS package with a recent XEmacs and it
> works just fine for reading UTF-8 mail.

Do I have to install XEmacs-Mule or a plain XEmacs with mule-base is
OK ? I have just installed mule-base package and there is no change.
--
BOFH excuse #160:
non-redundant fan failure

* Re: How to read utf-8 mails?
@ 2001-12-05 11:41       ` Vincent Bernat
From: Vincent Bernat @ 2001-12-05 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

OoO En ce milieu de nuit étoilée du mercredi 05 décembre 2001, vers
03:50, Jinhyok Heo <novembreN0$PAM@ournature.org> disait:

DP> This is correct: I use the Mule-UCS package with a recent XEmacs and it
DP> works just fine for reading UTF-8 mail.

> I've just installed Mule-UCS-0.84 with XEmacs-21.4.5. And it's
> working well. :-)

Where did you find it ?

* Re: How to read utf-8 mails?
@ 2001-12-05 12:20         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-12-05 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Vincent Bernat <bernat@scientist.com> writes:

> OoO En ce milieu de nuit étoilée du mercredi 05 décembre 2001, vers
> 03:50, Jinhyok Heo <novembreN0$PAM@ournature.org> disait:
>
> DP> This is correct: I use the Mule-UCS package with a recent XEmacs and it
> DP> works just fine for reading UTF-8 mail.
>
>> I've just installed Mule-UCS-0.84 with XEmacs-21.4.5. And it's
>> working well. :-)
>
> Where did you find it ?

Enter "mule-ucs" in Google.  Google is your friend.

kai
--

@ 2001-12-05 22:22       ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2001-12-05 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 05 Dec 2001, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> OoO En cette nuit striée d'éclairs du mercredi 05 décembre 2001, vers
> 02:14, Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> disait:
>
>> This is correct: I use the Mule-UCS package with a recent XEmacs and
>> it works just fine for reading UTF-8 mail.
>
> Do I have to install XEmacs-Mule or a plain XEmacs with mule-base is
> OK ? I have just installed mule-base package and there is no change.

You need an XEmacs compiled with MULE, the mule-base package *and* the
additional MULE-UCS package, which is not part of the XEmacs package
system, but is available on the 'net.

Kai suggests google; that was how I found it. :)
        Daniel

--
I have a vision, and in that vision I'm standing on top of a building.
God asks me 'Why do you love your Father?', and I say 'I do not know,