* Showing image attachments inline, but buttonized
@ 1999-11-24 11:52 Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-11-24 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like the images with the disposition "attachment" to be shown
inline if possible, but to keep the button (because if the image is an
"attachment", it was likely meant for me to be easy to save it.)  In
fact, such behaviour should probably be the default.

How do I do that?  I'm not sure I understand my way around
mm-inline-media-tests and friends.

I suppose I could achieve visually similar effect by removing image/*
from gnus-unbuttonized-mime-type and adding image/* to
mm-attachment-override-types.  The problem here is that it's a kludge
-- I really do want to treat to image as an attachment, except that I
want it displayed by default.  Besides, it's not that easy to *remove*
something from gnus-unbuttonized-mime-types.

* Re: Showing image attachments inline, but buttonized
@ 1999-12-01 20:41 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-12-01 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@iskon.hr> writes:

> I suppose I could achieve visually similar effect by removing image/*
> from gnus-unbuttonized-mime-type and adding image/* to
> mm-attachment-override-types.  The problem here is that it's a kludge
> -- I really do want to treat to image as an attachment, except that I
> want it displayed by default.  Besides, it's not that easy to *remove*
> something from gnus-unbuttonized-mime-types.

I think `gnus-unbuttonized-mime-type' is a misfeature, and instead
there should be a more general thing that says how to decorate each
type.  So that one could choose to decorate images with buttons, text
parts with lines and other parts with nothing.

How about the following syntax:

'(("image/.*" :before button :after line)
  ("text/.* :after thick-line))

* Re: Showing image attachments inline, but buttonized
@ 1999-12-02  8:24   ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-12-02  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> How about the following syntax:
>
> '(("image/.*" :before button :after line)
>   ("text/.* :after thick-line))

That would be nice, but is it really the correct way to solve the
problem?  Shouldn't it be possible to get "the inline attachment"
thing by fiddling with the "contents" mm-* variables?

* Re: Showing image attachments inline, but buttonized
@ 1999-12-02 12:10   ` Toby Speight
From: Toby Speight @ 1999-12-02 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <URL:mailto:larsi@gnus.org>

0> In <URL:news:m3u2m2xuks.fsf@quimbies.gnus.org>, Lars wrote:

Lars> Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@iskon.hr> writes:
Lars>
Lars> I think ... there should be a more general thing that says how
Lars> to decorate each type.  So that one could choose to decorate
Lars> images with buttons, text parts with lines and other parts with
Lars> nothing.
Lars>
Lars> How about the following syntax:
Lars>
Lars> '(("image/.*" :before button :after line)
Lars>   ("text/.*" :after thick-line))

I suggested something similar (last month, I think), but don't have
time to code it.  There needs to be and `around:' keyword, too, with
values such as 'box and 'half-box[1], which are useful for decorating
message/rfc822.

[1] or whatever you call this style of quoting:

    /-----------
    | stoah so aenth ua oendst
    | sno etuhas oenutha oesnuht
    \-----------

* Re: Showing image attachments inline, but buttonized
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-12-02 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@iskon.hr> writes:

> That would be nice, but is it really the correct way to solve the
> problem?  Shouldn't it be possible to get "the inline attachment"
> thing by fiddling with the "contents" mm-* variables?

No -- now you either get a button *or* you get it automatically
inlined.  There's no way to get both things at once.

* Re: Showing image attachments inline, but buttonized
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-12-02 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Toby Speight <Toby.Speight@streapadair.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> I suggested something similar (last month, I think), but don't have
> time to code it.  There needs to be and `around:' keyword, too, with
> values such as 'box and 'half-box[1], which are useful for decorating
> message/rfc822.

Yup.

* Re: Showing image attachments inline, but buttonized
@ 1999-12-03  8:03       ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-12-03  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> No -- now you either get a button *or* you get it automatically
> inlined.  There's no way to get both things at once.

Do you plan to add something like that?

* Re: Showing image attachments inline, but buttonized
@ 1999-12-05 21:48   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-12-05 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> How about the following syntax:
>
> '(("image/.*" :before button :after line)
>   ("text/.* :after thick-line))

I think what we really want is to display a text part inline if it
seems to be part of the current line, and _maybe_ display it with some
visual delimiter if it is not part of the current line.

We don't want to lose the really cool `Polish and Japanese in one
line' feature, do we?

kai

* Re: Showing image attachments inline, but buttonized
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-04-21 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@iskon.hr> writes:

> > No -- now you either get a button *or* you get it automatically
> > inlined.  There's no way to get both things at once.
>
> Do you plan to add something like that?

Sure; if we have the right way to specify that that is what we want to
have.

* Re: Showing image attachments inline, but buttonized
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-04-21 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > '(("image/.*" :before button :after line)
> >   ("text/.* :after thick-line))
>
> I think what we really want is to display a text part inline if it
> seems to be part of the current line, and _maybe_ display it with some
> visual delimiter if it is not part of the current line.
>
> We don't want to lose the really cool `Polish and Japanese in one
> line' feature, do we?

We don't, and that complicates things even further.  How do we specify
that?

* Re: Showing image attachments inline, but buttonized
@ 2000-04-22 15:53       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-04-22 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
> > > '(("image/.*" :before button :after line)
> > >   ("text/.* :after thick-line))
> >
> > I think what we really want is to display a text part inline if it
> > seems to be part of the current line, and _maybe_ display it with some
> > visual delimiter if it is not part of the current line.
> >
> > We don't want to lose the really cool `Polish and Japanese in one
> > line' feature, do we?
>
> We don't, and that complicates things even further.  How do we specify
> that?

Well, hm.  Hm.  It ought to be easy enough to tell if the part is part
of the same line -- just count the number of consecutive newlines
before the MIME separator.

I don't know whether we always want the visual delimiter in other
cases.  Hm.

I think that message/* parts should always be with a delimiter,
though.  Hm.

And probably we want the delimiter if one part is text/foo and another
is text/bar.

Maybe we want an iterative approximation to the solution?  Make a
simple test, then see if people complain about too many delimiters.

kai
--
Beware of flying birch trees.

* Re: Showing image attachments inline, but buttonized
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-04-22 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Well, hm.  Hm.  It ought to be easy enough to tell if the part is part
> of the same line -- just count the number of consecutive newlines
> before the MIME separator.

Yes, but I meant -- how do we specify (in that variable) that we want
those lines for parts that aren't on the same line, but we do want
them for parts that are on different lines?

* Re: Showing image attachments inline, but buttonized
@ 2000-04-22 18:28           ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-04-22 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Yes, but I meant -- how do we specify (in that variable) that we want
> those lines for parts that aren't on the same line, but we do want
> them for parts that are on different lines?

Well, err.  Hm.  Apart from the obvious (make a special case) I don't
know.  Hm.

*waves hands*

Hi there, could we do some brainstorming on when to add dividing
lines?

  - Add them before and after a message/* part.
  - Don't add them before a part that's on the same line.
  - Add them between a text/foo and a text/bar part where foo not
    equal bar.

I hope that the criteria will be obvious when we see the complete list...

kai
--

@ 2000-04-23  2:51             ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2000-04-23  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 22 Apr 2000, Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE>
wrote:

[...]

> Hi there, could we do some brainstorming on when to add dividing
> lines?
>
>   - Add them before and after a message/* part.
>   - Don't add them before a part that's on the same line.
>   - Add them between a text/foo and a text/bar part where foo not
>     equal bar.

FWIW, I only feel a great need to have dividing lines around message/*
parts - the rest of them can flow seamlessly as far as I am concerned.

Why? Because message/* parts are complex entities, while the others are
parts of a complex entity. I have not yet seen any other type where I
really got into trouble understanding the structure of it, except for
embedded message/* parts.[1]

        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  Not even them these days, because I push my own dividing lines in. :)

--
The desire to belong is partly the desire to lose oneself.
        -- Eric Hoffer