Gnus development mailing list
* completion no more working with latest HEADs (emacs and bbdb)
@ 2022-11-15 13:29 Peter Münster
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Peter Münster @ 2022-11-15 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

When trying to complete the destination address in message-mode with the
TAB-key, instead of completion I get the following message:

No match

And after changing the value of eudc-server-hotlist to '(("localhost" .
bbdb)), I get:

Parsing BBDB file ‘~/.emacs.d/bbdb’...done
Outdated usage of ‘bbdb-search’

And still no match.

What is the right way, to get completion in message-mode now with the
latest emacs master branch please?

TIA for any help,
--
           Peter

* Re: completion no more working with latest HEADs (emacs and bbdb)
@ 2022-11-15 17:04 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2022-11-15 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

Since my message was not visible on Gmane for several hours, I've tried
to send it again once or twice. Please ignore copies of this message,
I'm sorry for the noise.

Kind regards,
--

@ 2022-11-15 21:31 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2022-11-15 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Peter Münster <pm@a16n.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> When trying to complete the destination address in message-mode with the
> TAB-key, instead of completion I get the following message:

> No match
>
> And after changing the value of eudc-server-hotlist to '(("localhost" .
> bbdb)), I get:

> Parsing BBDB file ‘~/.emacs.d/bbdb’...done
> Outdated usage of ‘bbdb-search’
>
> And still no match.
>
> What is the right way, to get completion in message-mode now with the
> latest emacs master branch please?

Completion has stopped working for EBDB, as well. I assume the work on
EUDC has broken something, but I don't understand how it's broken EBDB,
since there we just clobber all the message-mode completion stuff
altogether. I'll float this on emacs.devel.

Eric

* Re: completion no more working with latest HEADs (emacs and bbdb)
@ 2022-11-16  7:48 ` Arash Esbati
From: Arash Esbati @ 2022-11-16  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Münster; +Cc: ding

Peter Münster <pm@a16n.net> writes:

> And after changing the value of eudc-server-hotlist to '(("localhost" .
> bbdb)), I get:

> Parsing BBDB file ‘~/.emacs.d/bbdb’...done
> Outdated usage of ‘bbdb-search’
>
> And still no match.
>
> What is the right way, to get completion in message-mode now with the
> latest emacs master branch please?

I faced this issue as well and my solution was this:

  (setq eudc-server-hotlist '(("localhost" . bbdb)))

  (add-hook 'message-mode-hook
            (lambda ()
              (setq-local completion-at-point-functions
                          (delq 'message-completion-function
                                completion-at-point-functions))))

I don't think this is the right way, but it works for now (I use corfu).

Best, Arash

* Re: completion no more working with latest HEADs (emacs and bbdb)
@ 2022-11-16  8:46   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2022-11-16  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, Nov 16 2022, Arash Esbati wrote:

> I don't think this is the right way, but it works for now (I use corfu).

It does not work for me. Perhaps because I use bbdb (latest version)...

--

@ 2022-11-16  8:58     ` Arash Esbati
From: Arash Esbati @ 2022-11-16  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Münster; +Cc: ding

Peter Münster <pm@a16n.net> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 16 2022, Arash Esbati wrote:
>
>> I don't think this is the right way, but it works for now (I use corfu).
>
> It does not work for me. Perhaps because I use bbdb (latest version)...

I also use BBDB (latest version from MELPA), corfu is the in-buffer
completion UI I use.

Best, Arash

* Re: completion no more working with latest HEADs (emacs and bbdb)
@ 2022-11-16 10:05       ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2022-11-16 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, Nov 16 2022, Arash Esbati wrote:

> I also use BBDB (latest version from MELPA), corfu is the in-buffer
> completion UI I use.

If you can confirm, that you use also latest emacs-master, then I'll try
corfu too.

--

@ 2022-11-16 11:43         ` Arash Esbati
From: Arash Esbati @ 2022-11-16 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Münster; +Cc: ding

Peter Münster <pm@a16n.net> writes:

> If you can confirm, that you use also latest emacs-master, then I'll try
> corfu too.

emacs-version: 29.0.50
emacs-repository-version: 277504584d4cf7b3d67cd4a8cae1849b6cc700fc

My corfu config is:

(setq corfu-auto t)
(setq corfu-echo-documentation nil)
(setq corfu-quit-at-boundary nil)
(setq corfu-quit-no-match t)
(global-corfu-mode)
(corfu-indexed-mode)
(keymap-set corfu-map "M-d" #'corfu-doc-toggle)

Best, Arash

* Re: completion no more working with latest HEADs (emacs and bbdb)
@ 2022-11-16 16:17           ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2022-11-16 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org> writes:

> Peter Münster <pm@a16n.net> writes:
>
>> If you can confirm, that you use also latest emacs-master, then I'll try
>> corfu too.
>
> emacs-version: 29.0.50
> emacs-repository-version: 277504584d4cf7b3d67cd4a8cae1849b6cc700fc
>
> My corfu config is:
>
> (setq corfu-auto t)
> (setq corfu-echo-documentation nil)
> (setq corfu-quit-at-boundary nil)
> (setq corfu-quit-no-match t)
> (global-corfu-mode)
> (corfu-indexed-mode)
> (keymap-set corfu-map "M-d" #'corfu-doc-toggle)

I've got Thomas Fitzsimmons' attention and am opening a bug report for
this, so I hope it will be fixed in short order (the workarounds are
helpful to see, though!).