* gnus hangs when changing network
@ 2011-01-20 21:20 Rémi Letot
From: Rémi Letot @ 2011-01-20 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

when I change network with my laptop sleeping (typical when I commute
between work and home), my whole emacs session often freezes if gnus is
there (which is always).

Not so long ago I just had to kill the openssl process, which abruptly
interrupted the imap connection, and gave me back my emacs.

Now that ssl is handled by emacs itself, I have no process to kill. And
C-g doesn't help. And it can stay frozen quite some time.

Besides quitting gnus before I commute (which I almost always forget)
and killing emacs (which is "Not Good"), is there a way to stop this
from happening ? Shouldn't C-g always work ?

Thanks,
--
Rémi

* Re: gnus hangs when changing network
@ 2011-01-21 19:09 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-01-21 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> when I change network with my laptop sleeping (typical when I commute
> between work and home), my whole emacs session often freezes if gnus
> is there (which is always).

I've seen something similar: all of my nntp connections refuse to
connect after a suspend, and a resume in a different network.

However, my imaps session (which needs openssl in a separate process, in
all of my ancient emacsen) have always survived.

So it is similar, but sort of the opposite, of what you see.

* Re: gnus hangs when changing network
@ 2011-01-22  2:55 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-01-22  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

hobbes@poukram.net (Rémi Letot) writes:

> Besides quitting gnus before I commute (which I almost always forget)
> and killing emacs (which is "Not Good"), is there a way to stop this
> from happening ? Shouldn't C-g always work ?

`C-g' should always work, but I'm not sure how the low-level Emacs stuff
reacts to changing IP addresses and stuff.  The people on the
emacs-devel mailing list may know more.

* Re: gnus hangs when changing network
@ 2011-01-22 10:51   ` Rémi Letot
From: Rémi Letot @ 2011-01-22 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>> when I change network with my laptop sleeping (typical when I commute
>> between work and home), my whole emacs session often freezes if gnus
>> is there (which is always).
>
> I've seen something similar: all of my nntp connections refuse to
> connect after a suspend, and a resume in a different network.
>
> However, my imaps session (which needs openssl in a separate process, in
> all of my ancient emacsen) have always survived.
>
> So it is similar, but sort of the opposite, of what you see.

On my old setup, when it was using openssl, I killed openssl twice and
got my emacs back. So maybe it was imap and nntp.

On my current setup, I don't know what is hanging, probably all open
connections. But I don't know since I can't C-g and get debug info (not
that I could read it, but I could provide more info to the list :-)

Thanks,
--

@ 2011-01-22 11:07   ` Rémi Letot
From: Rémi Letot @ 2011-01-22 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> hobbes@poukram.net (Rémi Letot) writes:
>
>> Besides quitting gnus before I commute (which I almost always forget)
>> and killing emacs (which is "Not Good"), is there a way to stop this
>> from happening ? Shouldn't C-g always work ?
>
> `C-g' should always work, but I'm not sure how the low-level Emacs stuff
> reacts to changing IP addresses and stuff.  The people on the
> emacs-devel mailing list may know more.

I'll go and ask there, gnus is the trigger, but the tls stuff is emacs
proper.

Thanks,
--
Rémi