* retrieving count of new nnimap group messages on server
@ 2010-12-18  3:12 Joseph Gay
From: Joseph Gay @ 2010-12-18  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,
I'm new to Gnus. I hope this is the appropriate place for my query.

I've switched from Mew to Gnus for reading e-mail over IMAP. One feature
I'd like to duplicate is mew-biff-function, which returns the number of
new messages on the server. Note that this doesn't download the
messages. Is there a way to achieve this with Gnus?

Best wishes,
Joe

* Re: retrieving count of new nnimap group messages on server
@ 2010-12-18  9:26 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2010-12-18  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I've switched from Mew to Gnus for reading e-mail over IMAP. One
> feature I'd like to duplicate is mew-biff-function, which returns the
> number of new messages on the server. Note that this doesn't download
> the messages. Is there a way to achieve this with Gnus?

If you use the gnus demon it can poll the server for new messages, and
the nnimap groups you want to watch will show the number of unread
messages that have arrived, as well as displaying the group name in bold
face.

* Re: retrieving count of new nnimap group messages on server
@ 2010-12-19 21:20   ` Joseph Gay
From: Joseph Gay @ 2010-12-19 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>> I've switched from Mew to Gnus for reading e-mail over IMAP. One
>> feature I'd like to duplicate is mew-biff-function, which returns the
>> number of new messages on the server. Note that this doesn't download
>> the messages. Is there a way to achieve this with Gnus?
>
> If you use the gnus demon it can poll the server for new messages, and
> the nnimap groups you want to watch will show the number of unread
> messages that have arrived, as well as displaying the group name in bold
> face.
Thanks Steinar. I was wary of using the demon since I have everything in
one process and some things over the network, but I will give it a try
as it has run swiftly thus far.