* gnus-use-correct-string-widths
@ 2002-08-30  7:24 Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2002-08-30  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Why is the option `gnus-use-correct-string-widths' activated for
only XEmacs?

(defcustom gnus-use-correct-string-widths (featurep 'xemacs)
  "*If non-nil, use correct functions for dealing with wide characters."
  :group 'gnus-format
  :type 'boolean)

It should be t for all the people who read wide characters.  It
is not related to whether XEmacs is running or FSF Emacs is
running.

;; If you've change that value, you might have to evaluate the
;; form: (gnus-update-format-specifications t)

--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>

* Re: gnus-use-correct-string-widths
@ 2002-08-30  9:03 ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2002-08-30  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:
> Why is the option `gnus-use-correct-string-widths' activated for
> only XEmacs?

[...]

> It should be t for all the people who read wide characters.  It
> is not related to whether XEmacs is running or FSF Emacs is
> running.

Sure it is. It costs in terms of performance and, at the time I debugged
and wrote the code that became that option and implementation, XEmacs
acted in a way that needed it which GNU Emacs didn't.

So, rather than have all the GNU Emacs people pay the additional cost of
using the slower code, it was enabled only for XEmacs.

      Daniel

--
What was once called the objective world is a sort of Rorschach ink blot,
into which each culture, each system of science and religion, each type of