* Tell gnus to never ever expire even expirable messages
@ 2000-09-23 17:25 Arcady Genkin
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Arcady Genkin @ 2000-09-23 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know this is a bit of a contradiction, but I want gnus to never
expire messages in my private mail group, even if marked as
expirable.  Setting (expiry-wait quote never) in group parameters
doesn't seem to do the trick.

Here's the situation.  I'm used to unmark ticked messages in most of
my groups by pressing `E', because I want them to expire.  Sometimes,
in my private group, I unmark ticked message by pressing `E' instead
of `d' (contrary to my intention).  This is my own mistake, I know,
but is there a way to set a self-guard against this for a given group?
I've lost more than one important messages this way. ;^(
--
Arcady Genkin
Don't read everything you believe.

* Re: Tell gnus to never ever expire even expirable messages
@ 2000-09-23 17:30 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2000-09-23 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Try modifying gnus-summary-prepare-exit-hook.

* Re: Tell gnus to never ever expire even expirable messages
@ 2000-09-23 23:18 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-09-23 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23 Sep 2000, Arcady Genkin wrote:

> I know this is a bit of a contradiction, but I want gnus to never
> expire messages in my private mail group, even if marked as
> expirable.  Setting (expiry-wait quote never) in group parameters
> doesn't seem to do the trick.

Does it work to use (expiry-wait never) rather than (expiry-wait quote never)?

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: Tell gnus to never ever expire even expirable messages
@ 2000-09-24 19:06   ` Arcady Genkin
From: Arcady Genkin @ 2000-09-24 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Groъjohann) writes:

> On 23 Sep 2000, Arcady Genkin wrote:
>
> > I know this is a bit of a contradiction, but I want gnus to never
> > expire messages in my private mail group, even if marked as
> > expirable.  Setting (expiry-wait quote never) in group parameters
> > doesn't seem to do the trick.
>
> Does it work to use (expiry-wait never) rather than (expiry-wait
> quote never)?

No, it doesn't.  I just tested and Gnus still expired a message from
June which I marked `E'.

This is happening in an nnimap group, in case this is relevant.

IIRC, `never' is a special symbol, and must be quoted, no?

Any other ideas?
--

@ 2000-09-24 20:01 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-09-24 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arcady Genkin <antipode@thpoon.com> writes:

> I know this is a bit of a contradiction, but I want gnus to never
> expire messages in my private mail group, even if marked as
> expirable.  Setting (expiry-wait quote never) in group parameters
> doesn't seem to do the trick.

Make sure your group parameter is '(expiry-wait . never) and not
'(expiry-wait never).

The latter does not work, and `nnmail-expiry-wait' will fall back on
it's default value (7, or whatever), thus expiring your mail.

* Re: Tell gnus to never ever expire even expirable messages
@ 2000-09-24 20:26     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-09-24 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24 Sep 2000, Arcady Genkin wrote:

> IIRC, `never' is a special symbol, and must be quoted, no?

Well, err.  The Lisp expression you get to edit after `G p' is not
evaled.  So it is not necessary to quote anything.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: Tell gnus to never ever expire even expirable messages
@ 2000-09-25  0:14   ` Arcady Genkin
From: Arcady Genkin @ 2000-09-25  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org> writes:

> Make sure your group parameter is '(expiry-wait . never) and not
> '(expiry-wait never).

Oh, thanks!  Now this did it.

Funny, I tried (expiry-wait . 'never) first, which got automatically
translated into (expiry-wait quote never).  Then I tried Kai's
suggestion (expiry-wait never), which didn't work...

I think that the docs are a bit unclear on this one.
--

@ 2000-09-25  1:08     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-09-25  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arcady Genkin <antipode@thpoon.com> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org> writes:
>
> > Make sure your group parameter is '(expiry-wait . never) and not
> > '(expiry-wait never).
>
> Oh, thanks!  Now this did it.
>
> Funny, I tried (expiry-wait . 'never) first, which got automatically
> translated into (expiry-wait quote never).  Then I tried Kai's
> suggestion (expiry-wait never), which didn't work...

There is a sure fire way to get it right.  Use the customize buffer
once then look at the results in `G p'.  You'll  know from then on what
the exact syntax is.

So press `G c' on the group in quesiton and review the items in that buffer.

Find the expire related item and look at the choices.

* Re: Tell gnus to never ever expire even expirable messages
@ 2000-09-25  4:17       ` Arcady Genkin
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Arcady Genkin @ 2000-09-25  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> There is a sure fire way to get it right.  Use the customize buffer
> once then look at the results in `G p'.  You'll know from then on
> what the exact syntax is.

`G c' doesn't work (for me?) for nnimap groups, because of some
uuvalidity issue (this was discussed before on this list).
--

@ 2000-09-25  4:47         ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-09-25  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arcady Genkin <antipode@thpoon.com> writes:

> > There is a sure fire way to get it right.  Use the customize buffer
> > once then look at the results in `G p'.  You'll know from then on
> > what the exact syntax is.
>
> `G c' doesn't work (for me?) for nnimap groups, because of some
> uuvalidity issue (this was discussed before on this list).

You can still learn exact syntax by using G c on non-nnimap group.

* Re: Tell gnus to never ever expire even expirable messages
@ 2000-09-25 10:13         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-09-25 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 25 Sep 2000, Arcady Genkin wrote:

> `G c' doesn't work (for me?) for nnimap groups, because of some
> uuvalidity issue (this was discussed before on this list).

Hm?  I thought this has been solved?  But maybe after 5.8.7 came out.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: Tell gnus to never ever expire even expirable messages
@ 2000-09-25 12:54         ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-09-25 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arcady Genkin <antipode@thpoon.com> writes:

> `G c' doesn't work (for me?) for nnimap groups, because of some
> uuvalidity issue (this was discussed before on this list).

Do you have a backtrace or something?

The problem that was discussed here that I could reproduce was fixed
for 5.8.7, but perhaps there was more issues.

* Re: Tell gnus to never ever expire even expirable messages
@ 2000-09-25 22:57           ` Arcady Genkin
From: Arcady Genkin @ 2000-09-25 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org> writes:

> > `G c' doesn't work (for me?) for nnimap groups, because of some
> > uuvalidity issue (this was discussed before on this list).
>
> Do you have a backtrace or something?
>
> The problem that was discussed here that I could reproduce was fixed
> for 5.8.7, but perhaps there was more issues.

I was using a pretty old CVS snapshot of 5.8.7.  I upgraded and `G c'
works on nnimap groups now.

Thanks a lot and sorry for the noise; I didn't know this was fixed,
and didn't want to upgrade because that snapshot has been so stable
for me.