* Strategies for idle fetching of messages
@ 2024-02-15  6:54 Nasser Alkmim
From: Nasser Alkmim @ 2024-02-15  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

I'm attempting to improve my Gnus workflow by avoiding the waiting time
when checking and fetching new messages.

I read the manual and tried a couple of strategies, however it is not
working as intended.

I tried this workflow:

1. Open gnus and check groups only up to level 2 (this should be quick).
2. When idle, get messages from all other groups up to level 5.

The number 2 is not working properly.
My configuration for that is:

  (defun gnus-demon-scan-news-5 ()
    (interactive)
    (let ((win (current-window-configuration)))
      (unwind-protect
          (save-window-excursion
            (when (gnus-alive-p)
              (with-current-buffer gnus-group-buffer
                (gnus-group-get-new-news 5))))
        (set-window-configuration win))))
  (gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-news-5 1 t)

Ideally, I would want the messages to be readily available the next time
I open gnus again.  Is that possible?

What are your strategies?

--
Nasser Alkmim
 +43 677 6408 9171

only message in thread, other threads:[~2024-02-15 17:12 UTC | newest]