* forwarding mail
@ 2017-04-26 20:59 David Mann
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David Mann @ 2017-04-26 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi group,

When I forward mail in Gnus using C-c C-f the quoted email is in raw source
format, including a lot of junk I don't want to forward.  When I reply
to mail, none of that stuff is included.

Is there anyway to make mail forwarding act the same as other mail
replying commands?

Versions: Gnus v5.13 Emacs 25.2

Thanks,
David

* Re: forwarding mail
@ 2017-04-26 21:20 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-04-26 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

David Mann <manndmd@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi group,
>
> When I forward mail in Gnus using C-c C-f the quoted email is in raw source
> format, including a lot of junk I don't want to forward.  When I reply
> to mail, none of that stuff is included.
>
> Is there anyway to make mail forwarding act the same as other mail
> replying commands?

Try checking out the message-forward-as-mime and
message-forward-decoded-p options? I haven't ever messed with this, but
my guess is those will solve your problem somehow.

* Re: forwarding mail
@ 2017-04-26 23:18 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-04-26 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

David Mann wrote:

> When I forward mail in Gnus using C-c C-f the
> quoted email is in raw source format,
> including a lot of junk I don't want to
> forward. When I reply to mail, none of that
> stuff is included.

If you check out the help for
`gnus-summary-mail-forward', you see the are
some vars mentioned to setup the default
behavior.

It also tells how to experiment with different
options using the `universal-argument', or C-u,
to provide an argument to the function.

E.g., in the summary buffer, try

    C-u 1 C-c C-f

all 1 to 4!

> Is there anyway to make mail forwarding act
> the same as other mail replying commands?

Yeah, I mean, what does it really mean to
"forward" a mail (or post)?

I suppose what I do is, after viewing the
message, in the article buffer, I do
`gnus-summary-followup-with-original' and then
edit the headers to send the mail/post wherever
I want.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: forwarding mail
@ 2017-04-27  6:21 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2017-04-27  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

David writes:

> When I forward mail in Gnus using C-c C-f the quoted email is in raw source
> format, including a lot of junk I don't want to forward.  When I reply
> to mail, none of that stuff is included.
>
> Is there anyway to make mail forwarding act the same as other mail
> replying commands?

Maybe something like this is useful:

  ; Old style forwarding:
  (setq message-forward-as-mime nil)
  (setq message-forward-ignored-headers "^Content-Transfer-Encoding:\\|^X-Gnus\\|^X-From-Line\\|^Return-Path\\|^X-\\|^Delivered-To\\|^Received\\|^Lines\\|^Xref")

?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "the only sound is drum machine which runs all 24            Adam Sjøgren
  hours in the office, always on, always set to          asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: forwarding mail
@ 2017-04-27 17:06   ` David Mann
From: David Mann @ 2017-04-27 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> David Mann wrote:
>
>> When I forward mail in Gnus using C-c C-f the
>> quoted email is in raw source format,
>> including a lot of junk I don't want to
>> forward. When I reply to mail, none of that
>> stuff is included.
>
> If you check out the help for
> `gnus-summary-mail-forward', you see the are
> some vars mentioned to setup the default
> behavior.
>
> It also tells how to experiment with different
> options using the `universal-argument', or C-u,
> to provide an argument to the function.
>
> E.g., in the summary buffer, try
>
>     C-u 1 C-c C-f
>
> all 1 to 4!

I went ahead and tried all the options.  They all open the message in
raw mode.  Depending on the mail reader, the forwarded message appears
normally or it arrives showing the raw header stuff.  I note though that
gnus handles all these options fine and the arrived forwarded message
looks normal regardless of the prefix argument used.

>> Is there anyway to make mail forwarding act
>> the same as other mail replying commands?
>
> Yeah, I mean, what does it really mean to
> "forward" a mail (or post)?
>
> I suppose what I do is, after viewing the
> message, in the article buffer, I do
> `gnus-summary-followup-with-original' and then
> edit the headers to send the mail/post wherever
> I want.

This option doesn't show the raw source, and is probably easiest.  I'm
using it to post this response.  It's just surprising to me that C-c C-f
always opens the message to be forwarded in raw mode.  I'm not sure what
the utility of that is.

It would be nice if gnus-summary-followup-with-original left the To:
field blank to be filled in.  That would make it comparable to fowarding
in other mail-readers.

Thanks to all the responders to my question.

David

* Re: forwarding mail
@ 2017-04-28 20:30     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-04-28 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

David Mann wrote:

> I went ahead and tried all the options.
> They all open the message in raw mode.

To me they look like any normal mail/post
compose buffer with some annotations and
nothing more to it.

Sure you didn't configure that?

Sure I didn't?

> This option doesn't show the raw source, and
> is probably easiest. I'm using it to post
> this response. It's just surprising to me
> that C-c C-f always opens the message to be
> forwarded in raw mode. I'm not sure what the
> utility of that is.

Me neither :)

> It would be nice if
> gnus-summary-followup-with-original left the
> To: field blank to be filled in. That would
> make it comparable to fowarding in other
> mail-readers.

(setq message-default-news-headers  "To: ")
(setq message-default-mail-headers  "Newsgroups: ")

--

@ 2017-04-29  4:13       ` David Mann
From: David Mann @ 2017-04-29  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> David Mann wrote:
>
>> I went ahead and tried all the options.
>> They all open the message in raw mode.
>
> To me they look like any normal mail/post
> compose buffer with some annotations and
> nothing more to it.
>
> Sure you didn't configure that?

No, at least not intentionally.

> Sure I didn't?

A difficult question for me to answer. :)

>> This option doesn't show the raw source, and
>> is probably easiest. I'm using it to post
>> this response. It's just surprising to me
>> that C-c C-f always opens the message to be
>> forwarded in raw mode. I'm not sure what the
>> utility of that is.
>
> Me neither :)
>
>> It would be nice if
>> gnus-summary-followup-with-original left the
>> To: field blank to be filled in. That would
>> make it comparable to fowarding in other
>> mail-readers.
>
> (setq message-default-news-headers  "To: ")
> (setq message-default-mail-headers  "Newsgroups: ")

I love Emacs.  All is configurable.

Thanks for your help.

David

* Re: forwarding mail
@ 2017-04-29  7:38   ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2017-04-29  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, Apr 27 2017,Adam Sjøgren wrote:

[snipped 9 lines]

> Maybe something like this is useful:
>
>   ; Old style forwarding:
>   (setq message-forward-as-mime nil)
>   (setq message-forward-ignored-headers "^Content-Transfer-Encoding:\\|^X-Gnus\\|^X-From-Line\\|^Return-Path\\|^X-\\|^Delivered-To\\|^Received\\|^Lines\\|^Xref")
>
> ?
>

>   Best regards,
>
>     Adam

I used this which has additional headers to Ignore

(setq message-forward-ignored-headers
      "^Content-Transfer-Encoding:\\|^List-\\|^Organ\\|^Referen\\|^Precede\\|^X-\\|^X-Gnus\\|^Return-Path:\\|^Bcc:\\|^Thread-\\|^X-OriginalArrivalTime:\\|^Resent-\\|^Delivered-\\|^Errors-\\|^Content-\\|^Received:")

sivaram

* Re: Forwarding mail
@ 1996-07-18 17:34 ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-07-18 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

David> Hello,
David> 	when forwarding mail, message.el (or is it TM?) is enclosing
David> the forwarded mail into a "Content-type: message/rfc822" MIME
David> enclosure.  This is nice, however the enclosed mail doesn't keep the
David> original encoding type ...

That reminds me ...
Digest extraction with C-d has the same flaw, and is especially
painful with QP.
--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.

* Forwarding mail
@ 1996-07-18  2:54 David Lebel
From: David Lebel @ 1996-07-18  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

	when forwarding mail, message.el (or is it TM?) is enclosing
the forwarded mail into a "Content-type: message/rfc822" MIME
enclosure.  This is nice, however the enclosed mail doesn't keep the
original encoding type, so when viewing the forwarded mail using Gnus
(or any other MUA), the enclosed mail is not decoded.  This is
especially painfull when the original mail contained quoted-printable
text.

	is there any way around this?

	...David

--
// d a v i d  l e b e l  <lebel@socom.com>      http://www.socom.com/~lebel/
// analyst / system administrator / hacker          socom technologies, inc.