* Downloading large numbers of unwanted k, so sitting and waiting
@ 2015-02-24 10:27 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2015-02-24 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I have a problem when I enter a newsgroup, I am prompted for how many
articles to get, and I input a number. No matter what number, be it
"1" or "35" or whatever, I *always* download large numbers of k. So I
am sitting waiting for this to end so that I can read the mails.

How can I change this behaviour please?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.6, emacs 24.4.1.0

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Downloading large numbers of unwanted k, so sitting and waiting
@ 2016-02-07  3:06 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-02-07  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: ding

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> I have a problem when I enter a newsgroup, I am prompted for how many
> articles to get, and I input a number. No matter what number, be it
> "1" or "35" or whatever, I *always* download large numbers of k. So I
> am sitting waiting for this to end so that I can read the mails.
>
> How can I change this behaviour please?

Do you have gnus-fetch-old-headers set, by any chance?  That'll fetch a
lot of data...