* keeping killed groups out of gnus-group-jump-to-group
@ 2011-05-23 20:11 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-05-23 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I've looked at the source for this function but can't figure out how the
list of candidate groups for auto-completion is created.

Very simply: I'm using a mairix server, and ido for all autocompletion.
The mairix server includes a complete list of all my nnmail groups,
killed, and they all show up when I hit 'j' to jump to a group, usually
*before* the real nnmail group, which makes it hard to use. I don't know
where the list of groups is created -- is there a way I can have it
filter out killed groups?

Thanks,
Eric

* Re: keeping killed groups out of gnus-group-jump-to-group
@ 2011-05-24 13:51 ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2011-05-24 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric Abrahamsen writes:
> Very simply: I'm using a mairix server, and ido for all autocompletion.
> The mairix server includes a complete list of all my nnmail groups,
> killed, and they all show up when I hit 'j' to jump to a group, usually
> *before* the real nnmail group, which makes it hard to use. I don't know
> where the list of groups is created -- is there a way I can have it
> filter out killed groups?

I don't know either. You could use an advice to at least filter the
nnmairix groups:

(defadvice gnus-group-completing-read (before remove-nnmairix-groups activate)
  (unless collection
    (mapatoms
     (lambda (g)
       (unless (string-match nnmairix-group-prefix (symbol-name g))
	 (push g collection)))
     gnus-active-hashtb)))

It's not nice, but it should work...

-David

* Re: keeping killed groups out of gnus-group-jump-to-group
@ 2011-05-25  1:42   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-05-25  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen writes:
>> Very simply: I'm using a mairix server, and ido for all autocompletion.
>> The mairix server includes a complete list of all my nnmail groups,
>> killed, and they all show up when I hit 'j' to jump to a group, usually
>> *before* the real nnmail group, which makes it hard to use. I don't know
>> where the list of groups is created -- is there a way I can have it
>> filter out killed groups?
>
> I don't know either. You could use an advice to at least filter the
> nnmairix groups:
>
> (defadvice gnus-group-completing-read (before remove-nnmairix-groups activate)
>   (unless collection
>     (mapatoms
>      (lambda (g)
>        (unless (string-match nnmairix-group-prefix (symbol-name g))
> 	 (push g collection)))
>      gnus-active-hashtb)))

Thanks! I was definitely expecting to have to advise something…

However, just putting this in my .gnus.el and evaluating it doesn't seem
to do anything, do have to put it somewhere special?

* Re: keeping killed groups out of gnus-group-jump-to-group
@ 2011-05-25  4:43     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-05-25  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen writes:
>>> Very simply: I'm using a mairix server, and ido for all autocompletion.
>>> The mairix server includes a complete list of all my nnmail groups,
>>> killed, and they all show up when I hit 'j' to jump to a group, usually
>>> *before* the real nnmail group, which makes it hard to use. I don't know
>>> where the list of groups is created -- is there a way I can have it
>>> filter out killed groups?
>>
>> I don't know either. You could use an advice to at least filter the
>> nnmairix groups:
>>
>> (defadvice gnus-group-completing-read (before remove-nnmairix-groups activate)
>>   (unless collection
>>     (mapatoms
>>      (lambda (g)
>>        (unless (string-match nnmairix-group-prefix (symbol-name g))
>> 	 (push g collection)))
>>      gnus-active-hashtb)))
>>

> Thanks! I was definitely expecting to have to advise something…
>
> However, just putting this in my .gnus.el and evaluating it doesn't seem
> to do anything, do have to put it somewhere special?

Found the problem: =nnmairix-group-prefix= is the prefix of the
directory where mairix keeps its results, "zz_mairix" in my case, not
the prefix of the bogus mairix server groups, which is "nnml+mairix:".
Using a literal string instead of =nnmairix-group-prefix= made this
work.

Thanks again,
Eric