* nnimap splitting default rule not working
@ 2011-02-22 20:05 Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2011-02-22 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I converted my old split rule and it is working fine except for the
final rule.  My rule is similar to:

	 (nnimap-split-methods
	  (("INBOX.2011" "^\\(apparently-to\\|resent-to\\|to\\|cc\\):.*\\(simon@josefsson.org...\\)")
	   ("INBOX.Trash" "")))

Incoming e-mails that match the first regexp gets moved to INBOX.2011
correctly, however the other e-mails stay in INBOX instead of being
moved to INBOX.Trash.

Doesn't the "" regexp rule work for nnimap?

/Simon

* Re: nnimap splitting default rule not working
@ 2011-02-22 20:19 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2011-02-22 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 21:05:48 +0100, Simon wrote:

> 	   ("INBOX.Trash" "")))

> Incoming e-mails that match the first regexp gets moved to INBOX.2011
> correctly, however the other e-mails stay in INBOX instead of being
> moved to INBOX.Trash.

> Doesn't the "" regexp rule work for nnimap?

I think it is by design - there is a thread about it here:

 * http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/76184/

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
  Woodhead's Law: "The further you are from your              Adam Sjøgren
  server, the more likely it is to crash."               asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: nnimap splitting default rule not working
@ 2011-02-23  8:28   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-23  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I think it is by design - there is a thread about it here:
>
>  * http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/76184/

Yes, but I think the design might not be very good.  :-)  So I think
I'll change that again so that final "" matches work for nnimap, too.
There's a difference between default defaults, and "" defaults, and I
think that should be respected.

* Re: nnimap splitting default rule not working
@ 2011-02-23  8:31     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-23  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> There's a difference between default defaults, and "" defaults, and I
> think that should be respected.

I've now changed this so that "" splits work in nnimap, too.

* Re: nnimap splitting default rule not working
@ 2011-02-23  9:39     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-02-23  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> There's a difference between default defaults, and "" defaults, and I
> think that should be respected.

Agreed.

I was in the "leave unfiltered in INBOX" crowd in that discussion, but
making difference between no default rule, and an "" rule, sounds like
it will give both groups (ie. old Gnus filtering users, and
other-IMAP-client-users) their expected behaviour.

* Re: nnimap splitting default rule not working
@ 2011-02-23 13:26       ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2011-02-23 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>> There's a difference between default defaults, and "" defaults, and I
>> think that should be respected.
>
> Agreed.
>
> I was in the "leave unfiltered in INBOX" crowd in that discussion, but
> making difference between no default rule, and an "" rule, sounds like
> it will give both groups (ie. old Gnus filtering users, and
> other-IMAP-client-users) their expected behaviour.

I don't care strongly about which option is chosen, as long as the
documentation is consistent -- right now it says that
nnimap-split-methods works the same same as nnmail-split-methods which
wasn't correct for the "" catch-all rule.

I mildly prefer aligning nnimap with nnmail here since then I don't have
to modify my configuration. :-)

Thanks,

@ 2011-02-23 13:41         ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-02-23 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I don't care strongly about which option is chosen, as long as the
> documentation is consistent -- right now it says that
> nnimap-split-methods works the same same as nnmail-split-methods which
> wasn't correct for the "" catch-all rule.

With Lars' suggestion both sides can eat their cake and have it
too... or something...

* Re: nnimap splitting default rule not working
@ 2011-02-23 23:29         ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-23 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org> writes:

> I don't care strongly about which option is chosen, as long as the
> documentation is consistent -- right now it says that
> nnimap-split-methods works the same same as nnmail-split-methods which
> wasn't correct for the "" catch-all rule.

Yes, the documentation should now line up with the code.