* nnimap mail splitting and bodies
@ 2010-11-17  0:23 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-11-17  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I just noticed that nnimap downloads the complete article bodies when
doing mail splitting.  Is that really necessary?

* Re: nnimap mail splitting and bodies
@ 2010-11-17  1:45 ` Andrew Cohen
From: Andrew Cohen @ 2010-11-17  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

    Lars> I just noticed that nnimap downloads the complete article
    Lars> bodies when doing mail splitting.  Is that really necessary?

I think so---I do statistical splitting based on the email content
(headers and body).

This could be configuration option...

* Re: nnimap mail splitting and bodies
@ 2010-11-17  8:40   ` Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2010-11-17  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Andrew Cohen writes:

>     Lars> I just noticed that nnimap downloads the complete article
>     Lars> bodies when doing mail splitting.  Is that really necessary?
>
> I think so---I do statistical splitting based on the email content
> (headers and body).
>
> This could be configuration option...

At least it was in the old nnimap. `nnimap-split-download-body' set to
`nil' is very interesting in many situations.

--
Alberto

* Re: nnimap mail splitting and bodies
@ 2010-11-18 18:55     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-11-18 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 09:40:43 +0100 Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> wrote:

Lars> I just noticed that nnimap downloads the complete article
Lars> bodies when doing mail splitting.  Is that really necessary?

>> I think so---I do statistical splitting based on the email content
>> (headers and body).
>>
>> This could be configuration option...

AL> At least it was in the old nnimap. `nnimap-split-download-body' set to
AL> `nil' is very interesting in many situations.

spam.el sets nnimap-split-download-body-default to t when a statistical
backend is used (one that looks at the body).  Then
nnimap-split-download-body was OR-ed with
nnimap-split-download-body-default in past versions of nnimap.el.

Ted

* Re: nnimap mail splitting and bodies
@ 2010-11-19 14:14       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-11-19 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 12:55:58 -0600 Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:

Lars> I just noticed that nnimap downloads the complete article
Lars> bodies when doing mail splitting.  Is that really necessary?

>>> I think so---I do statistical splitting based on the email content
>>> (headers and body).
>>>
>>> This could be configuration option...

AL> At least it was in the old nnimap. `nnimap-split-download-body' set to
AL> `nil' is very interesting in many situations.

TZ> spam.el sets nnimap-split-download-body-default to t when a statistical
TZ> backend is used (one that looks at the body).  Then
TZ> nnimap-split-download-body was OR-ed with
TZ> nnimap-split-download-body-default in past versions of nnimap.el.

I can take a look at implementing those but am waiting for Lars to yay
or neigh the general nnimap-split-download-body* concept in the new
nnimap.

Ted

* Re: nnimap mail splitting and bodies
@ 2010-11-21  4:56         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-11-21  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> I can take a look at implementing those but am waiting for Lars to yay
> or neigh the general nnimap-split-download-body* concept in the new
> nnimap.

Yay.  I think.  :-)

Should nnimap default to not downloading the bodies when doing mail
splitting, and then only be overridden by either a user setting, or a
binding from the statistical splitting stuff?

* Re: nnimap mail splitting and bodies
@ 2010-11-21 13:19           ` Andrew Cohen
From: Andrew Cohen @ 2010-11-21 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

    Lars> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
    >> I can take a look at implementing those but am waiting for Lars
    >> to yay or neigh the general nnimap-split-download-body* concept
    >> in the new nnimap.

    Lars> Yay.  I think.  :-)

    Lars> Should nnimap default to not downloading the bodies when doing
    Lars> mail splitting, and then only be overridden by either a user
    Lars> setting, or a binding from the statistical splitting stuff?

I would vote for this (I can't see why you would need the body unless
you, uhm, need it).

* Re: nnimap mail splitting and bodies
@ 2010-11-22 19:50           ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-11-22 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 05:56:47 +0100 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LMI> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> I can take a look at implementing those but am waiting for Lars to yay
>> or neigh the general nnimap-split-download-body* concept in the new
>> nnimap.

LMI> Yay.  I think.  :-)

LMI> Should nnimap default to not downloading the bodies when doing mail
LMI> splitting, and then only be overridden by either a user setting, or a
LMI> binding from the statistical splitting stuff?

nnimap-split-download-body-default and nnimap-split-download-body should
both default to nil.  The user should be able to customize
nnimap-split-download-body while Gnus functions should set
nnimap-split-download-body-default.  And then nnimap.el should look at

(or nnimap-split-download-body-default nnimap-split-download-body)

I think that would work for everyone.

Ted

* Re: nnimap mail splitting and bodies
@ 2010-11-24 21:13             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-11-24 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> nnimap-split-download-body-default and nnimap-split-download-body should
> both default to nil.

Yes.  But the latter variable doesn't seem to exist.  :-)

> The user should be able to customize nnimap-split-download-body while
> Gnus functions should set nnimap-split-download-body-default.  And
> then nnimap.el should look at
>
> (or nnimap-split-download-body-default nnimap-split-download-body)
>
> I think that would work for everyone.

Yup.

* Re: nnimap mail splitting and bodies
@ 2010-12-14 22:40               ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-12-14 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 22:13:07 +0100 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LMI> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> nnimap-split-download-body-default and nnimap-split-download-body should
>> both default to nil.

LMI> Yes.  But the latter variable doesn't seem to exist.  :-)

It was in nnimap.el before you redid it.  Note the typo in the choice
("deault") which IMHO indicates no one used it since no one complained
AFAIK.

(defcustom nnimap-split-download-body 'default
  "Whether to download entire articles during splitting.
This is generally not required, and will slow things down considerably.
You may need it if you want to use an advanced splitting function that
analyzes the body before splitting the article.
If this variable is nil, bodies will not be downloaded; if this
variable is the symbol `default' the default behavior is
used (which currently is nil, unless you use a statistical
spam.el test); if this variable is another non-nil value bodies
will be downloaded."
  :version "22.1"
  :group 'nnimap
  :type '(choice (const :tag "Let system decide" deault)
                 boolean))

>> The user should be able to customize nnimap-split-download-body while
>> Gnus functions should set nnimap-split-download-body-default.  And
>> then nnimap.el should look at
>>
>> (or nnimap-split-download-body-default nnimap-split-download-body)
>>
>> I think that would work for everyone.

LMI> Yup.

Are you OK with bringing the above defcustom back?  If so the other
change is trivial.

Ted

* Re: nnimap mail splitting and bodies
@ 2010-12-14 22:44                 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-12-14 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> It was in nnimap.el before you redid it.  Note the typo in the choice
> ("deault") which IMHO indicates no one used it since no one complained
> AFAIK.

[...]

> Are you OK with bringing the above defcustom back?  If so the other
> change is trivial.

If nobody ever changed it to anything other than the default, then
perhaps it isn't needed?  And nnimap now could just do what nnimap then
defaulted to?

* Re: nnimap mail splitting and bodies
@ 2010-12-15  0:13                   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-12-15  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 23:44:45 +0100 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LMI> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> It was in nnimap.el before you redid it.  Note the typo in the choice
>> ("deault") which IMHO indicates no one used it since no one complained
>> AFAIK.

LMI> [...]

>> Are you OK with bringing the above defcustom back?  If so the other
>> change is trivial.

LMI> If nobody ever changed it to anything other than the default, then
LMI> perhaps it isn't needed?  And nnimap now could just do what nnimap then
LMI> defaulted to?

I think you're right.

Ted