* tarball for 5.13?
@ 2010-10-21 18:33 Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2010-10-21 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi -

I'm not ready to make the jump to ngnus space, but I like to compile
emacs from sources once in a while.  The last version of gnus I've used
(before discovering that ngnus is in bzr emacs) is "Gnus v5.13" with my
old installation of "GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
2.18.3) of 2010-03-25 on palmer, modified by Debian"

I haven't been able to find a 5.13 tarball at gnus.org - is there one
available somewhere that I can plop into my load-path?  Oh, and do you
think it would work with the latest bzr emacs?

Thanks!

bw
--
Bill White . billw@wolfram.com . http://members.wolfram.com/billw
"No ma'am, we're musicians."

* Re: tarball for 5.13?
@ 2010-10-22 14:50 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-10-22 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:

> I haven't been able to find a 5.13 tarball at gnus.org - is there one
> available somewhere that I can plop into my load-path?  Oh, and do you
> think it would work with the latest bzr emacs?

There is no Gnus 5.13 tarball, but the latest bzr Emacs has the latest
Gnus version.

* Re: tarball for 5.13?
@ 2010-10-22 15:12   ` Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2010-10-22 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri Oct 22 2010 at 09:50, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

> Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:
>
>> I haven't been able to find a 5.13 tarball at gnus.org - is there one
>> available somewhere that I can plop into my load-path?  Oh, and do
>> you think it would work with the latest bzr emacs?
>
> There is no Gnus 5.13 tarball, but the latest bzr Emacs has the latest
> Gnus version.

OK, thanks.  My workaround (until I switch to ngnus) is to run an old
emacs/gnus5.13 for mail, and run bzr emacs for coding work.  I run
separate instances of emacs anyway, so it's working out fine.

Cheers -

bw
--

@ 2010-10-25 18:33     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-10-25 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 10:12:40 -0500 Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> wrote:

BW> On Fri Oct 22 2010 at 09:50, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
>> Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:
>>
>>> I haven't been able to find a 5.13 tarball at gnus.org - is there one
>>> available somewhere that I can plop into my load-path?  Oh, and do
>>> you think it would work with the latest bzr emacs?
>>
>> There is no Gnus 5.13 tarball, but the latest bzr Emacs has the latest
>> Gnus version.

BW> OK, thanks.  My workaround (until I switch to ngnus) is to run an old
BW> emacs/gnus5.13 for mail, and run bzr emacs for coding work.  I run
BW> separate instances of emacs anyway, so it's working out fine.

Which reminds me: I want to set up a separate recentf save file for Gnus
vs. regular Emacs, along with some other variables.  Is there a way to
do that on startup if Emacs is started with "-f gnus ..." without
resorting to environment variables?

Thanks
Ted

* special settings for Gnus vs. regular Emacs (was: tarball for 5.13?)
@ 2010-10-27 15:33       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-10-27 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 13:33:27 -0500 Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:

TZ> Which reminds me: I want to set up a separate recentf save file for Gnus
TZ> vs. regular Emacs, along with some other variables.  Is there a way to
TZ> do that on startup if Emacs is started with "-f gnus ..." without
TZ> resorting to environment variables?

Assuming Emacs is started with "-f gnus" and you don't expect "gnus" to
show up on the command line otherwise:

(setq tzz-gnus-running-p (member "gnus" command-line-args)
      tzz-general-suffix (if tzz-gnus-running-p "gnus" "emacs"))

(setq session-save-file (format "~/.session.%s" tzz-general-suffix)
      recentf-save-file (format "~/.recentf.%s" tzz-general-suffix))

Ted