* strange warning message. Mail source (file) failed: (error Cannot get new mail)
@ 2019-03-30  9:19 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2019-03-30  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi

After restarting emacs and gnus I received a message saying

Mail source (file) failed: (error Cannot get new mail)

But everything seems to be fine, what is the reason for this message

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: strange warning message. Mail source (file) failed: (error Cannot get new mail)
@ 2019-03-30 12:43 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2019-03-30 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe writes:

> After restarting emacs and gnus I received a message saying
>
> Mail source (file) failed: (error Cannot get new mail)
>
> But everything seems to be fine, what is the reason for this message

mail-sources defaults to ((file)), which means Gnus will try fetching
email from the local file system (/var/mail/LOGIN on most machines):

,----[ C-h v mail-sources RET ]
| mail-sources is a variable defined in ‘mail-source.el’.
| Its value is ((file) (imap :server "mail.koldfront.dk" :stream tls))
| Original value was ((file))
|
| Documentation:
| Where the mail backends will look for incoming mail.
| This variable is a list of mail source specifiers.
| See Info node ‘(gnus)Mail Source Specifiers’.

`----

It sounds to me like that is failing in your setup, somehow.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Everything needs to change.                                 Adam Sjøgren
  And it has to start today."                            asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: strange warning message. Mail source (file) failed: (error Cannot get new mail)
@ 2019-03-30 14:54   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2019-03-30 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> "AS" == Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

> Uwe writes:
>> After restarting emacs and gnus I received a message saying
>>
>> Mail source (file) failed: (error Cannot get new mail)
>>
>> But everything seems to be fine, what is the reason for this message

> mail-sources defaults to ((file)), which means Gnus will try fetching
> email from the local file system (/var/mail/LOGIN on most machines):

> ,----[ C-h v mail-sources RET ]
> | mail-sources is a variable defined in ‘mail-source.el’.
> | Its value is ((file) (imap :server "mail.koldfront.dk" :stream tls))
> | Original value was ((file))
> |
> | Documentation:
> | Where the mail backends will look for incoming mail.
> | This variable is a list of mail source specifiers.
> | See Info node ‘(gnus)Mail Source Specifiers’.
> |
> `----

> It sounds to me like that is failing in your setup, somehow.

Emacs should not do that, I only fetch from imap and gmane news servers.
This message never popped up?

But I can access my email via imap without problems.

Very very strange..

Thanks

Uwe

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: strange warning message. Mail source (file) failed: (error Cannot get new mail)
@ 2019-03-30 15:32     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2019-03-30 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe writes:

> Emacs should not do that, I only fetch from imap and gmane news servers.

I'm sure you don't think it should, yet that is the default and has been
for ages.

What is the value of mail-sources in your setup?

> This message never popped up?

Maybe you changed something, or you didn't notice it before?

> But I can access my email via imap without problems.

Sure, why would one mail source failing make another do so?

> Very very strange..

What is strange about that?

  Best regards,

    Adam