* registry is too full: who is the culprit
@ 2019-02-22 22:10 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2019-02-22 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi

This is my setting

(setq
 gnus-registry-split-strategy 'majority
 gnus-registry-max-entries  50000)

And I have
gnus-registry-track-extra is a variable defined in ‘gnus-registry.el’.
Its value is (gnorb-ids org-tags sender subject)

But from time to time I receive the message:

Trying to prune the registry because it’s full

Who is the culprit? Org-tags?

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: registry is too full: who is the culprit
@ 2019-02-22 23:04 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2019-02-22 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Hi
>
> This is my setting
>
> (setq
>  gnus-registry-split-strategy 'majority
>  gnus-registry-max-entries  50000)
>
> And I have
> gnus-registry-track-extra is a variable defined in ‘gnus-registry.el’.
> Its value is (gnorb-ids org-tags sender subject)
>

> But from time to time I receive the message:
>
> Trying to prune the registry because it’s full
>
> Who is the culprit? Org-tags?

There's no actual "culprit" -- no matter how large you set max-entries,
you'll reach it eventually. That's just the nature of the registry. It
fills up continually until it has to prune, that's just how it works.
The question is just how big you're willing to let it get.

(And, of course, "precious" entries won't be pruned, so you want to make
sure you have enough space for those.)

* registry ignored groups
@ 2019-02-23 17:16   ` Jeffrey DeLeo
From: Jeffrey DeLeo @ 2019-02-23 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I also frequently find the registry growing too large. It seems one can
tell the registry explicitly to ignore certain groups. I started looking
through the registry code to see exactly what that means... if someone
could explain, it would be helpful. What does it mean to "ignore" a
group for the registry?

The means to do this seem to be:

One can give a group the parameter *registry-ignore*, that is checked in
the function *gnus-registry-ignore-group-p*.

There is a variable *gnus-registry-ignored-groups*, which is an
assoc-list where the key is some sort of glob value which I don't really
understand, and the value /t/ or /nil/ indicates whether group is to be
ignored.

* Re: registry ignored groups
@ 2019-02-25 19:06     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2019-02-25 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Jeffrey DeLeo <JeffreyDeLeo@gmail.com> writes:

> I also frequently find the registry growing too large. It seems one can
> tell the registry explicitly to ignore certain groups. I started looking
> through the registry code to see exactly what that means... if someone
> could explain, it would be helpful. What does it mean to "ignore" a
> group for the registry?

Normally, when you enter a group's summary buffer, the registry records
information for all the new messages in the group. If the group is
ignored, no information for those messages will be recorded.

Keep in mind this doesn't affect the size of the registry! It just means
it will grow more slowly, and have less "uninteresting" stuff in it. It
will still eventually reach its maximum size.

> The means to do this seem to be:
>
> One can give a group the parameter *registry-ignore*, that is checked in
> the function *gnus-registry-ignore-group-p*.
>
> There is a variable *gnus-registry-ignored-groups*, which is an
> assoc-list where the key is some sort of glob value which I don't really
> understand, and the value /t/ or /nil/ indicates whether group is to be
> ignored.

Yes. I don't know why it's structured like that. The option type wants
each list element to be a list of (regexp bool), but the code will also
accept a bare regexp. I don't know why you would want to use
("group-regexp" nil), rather than just omitting that regexp from the list.

The "glob" value is a regular expression, which gets passed to the
`string-match' function to see if the group name matches. Check the
manual for the basics of regular expressions. You can test your regexps
by going into the *scratch* buffer and playing around with evaluating:

(string-match "ignore-group-regexp" "group.name.to.ignore")

Hope that helps,
Eric