* ticks, marks, flags (gmail starred)
@ 2015-05-23  8:34 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2015-05-23  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello

I connect via imap to my gmail account using gnus.
Usually I use !  `gnus-summary-tick-article-forward'
and M-u to untick the messages.

A ticked message  understood by gmail as starred and by thunderbird as
flagged.

What puzzles me is the gnus `u'
which sets the * mark.

I don't have any use for this mark, but I cannot remove it.
I googled and don't see a way to get rid of it, any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: ticks, marks, flags (gmail starred)
@ 2015-05-23 10:48 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2015-05-23 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe writes:

> What puzzles me is the gnus `u'
> which sets the * mark.

On my machine u (gnus-summary-tick-article-forward) sets '!',
while * (gnus-cache-enter-article) sets '*'. I can remove it
with M-* (gnus-cache-remove-article), maybe that works for you?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Eternal evil                                                Adam Sjøgren
  Yeah it stares behind the desk"                        asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: ticks, marks, flags (gmail starred)
@ 2015-05-23 23:14 ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2015-05-23 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> I connect via imap to my gmail account using gnus.
> Usually I use !  `gnus-summary-tick-article-forward'
> and M-u to untick the messages.
>
> A ticked message  understood by gmail as starred and by thunderbird as
> flagged.
>
> What puzzles me is the gnus `u'
> which sets the * mark.

If you have gnus-use-cache set to t, then when you tick an article,
it is also cached, which is indicated with a * mark.  Depending on
your gnus-summary-line-format variable, you might only see the *
mark when the tick mark is removed.

Also, when you mark an article as read, it will be removed from the
cache when you exit the group, but the * mark still shows until then.
Most marks show what *will* happen when you exit the summary, but for a
reason I've never understood, the * mark shows the current state
(cached) and some other mechanism results in it getting removed when you
exit the group.

So I think all you have to do is ignore this.  The * should be gone the
next time you enter that group.

It can also be removed with M-*.

See the Article Caching section of the Gnus info page.

Dan

* Re: ticks, marks, flags (gmail starred)
@ 2015-05-24 19:36   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2015-05-24 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> "Dan" == Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> writes:

   > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
   >> I connect via imap to my gmail account using gnus.
   >> Usually I use !  `gnus-summary-tick-article-forward'
   >> and M-u to untick the messages.
   >>
   >> A ticked message  understood by gmail as starred and by thunderbird as
   >> flagged.
   >>
   >> What puzzles me is the gnus `u'
   >> which sets the * mark.

   > If you have gnus-use-cache set to t, then when you tick an article,
   > it is also cached, which is indicated with a * mark.  Depending on
   > your gnus-summary-line-format variable, you might only see the *
   > mark when the tick mark is removed.

   > Also, when you mark an article as read, it will be removed from the
   > cache when you exit the group, but the * mark still shows until then.
   > Most marks show what *will* happen when you exit the summary, but for a
   > reason I've never understood, the * mark shows the current state
   > (cached) and some other mechanism results in it getting removed when you
   > exit the group.

   > So I think all you have to do is ignore this.  The * should be gone the
   > next time you enter that group.

   > It can also be removed with M-*.

   > See the Article Caching section of the Gnus info page.

Ah right, sometimes I toggle that on and off and forget about. thanks

Uwe