* OpenSSL using 100% cpu for connection to localhost imap
@ 2011-02-25  0:43 John Sullivan
From: John Sullivan @ 2011-02-25  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I just updated from emacs bzr today.

 openssl s_client -connect localhost imaps -no_ssl2 -ign_eof

is using 100% of my CPU and has been for a while. I'm not sure when it
started doing so, but I know that I restarted emacs after updating,
started gnus, entered an nnimap group, read some articles, and sent a
reply.

(BTW, is there a way to connect without encryption? It's localhost on a
single user machine. Looks like setting nnimap-stream to network will
just cause starttls to be selected.)

* Re: OpenSSL using 100% cpu for connection to localhost imap
@ 2011-02-25  3:56 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-25  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

John Sullivan <john@wjsullivan.net> writes:

> I just updated from emacs bzr today.
>
>  openssl s_client -connect localhost imaps -no_ssl2 -ign_eof
>
> is using 100% of my CPU and has been for a while.

What does strace say that it's doing?

> (BTW, is there a way to connect without encryption? It's localhost on a
> single user machine. Looks like setting nnimap-stream to network will
> just cause starttls to be selected.)

Yes.  Set it to `network-only' instead.  I think that should work...

* Re: OpenSSL using 100% cpu for connection to localhost imap
@ 2011-03-13 20:19   ` John Sullivan
From: John Sullivan @ 2011-03-13 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> John Sullivan <john@wjsullivan.net> writes:
>
>> I just updated from emacs bzr today.
>>
>>  openssl s_client -connect localhost imaps -no_ssl2 -ign_eof
>>
>> is using 100% of my CPU and has been for a while.
>
> What does strace say that it's doing?

Haven't been able to reproduce it. Oh well. Maybe it had something to do
with connecting to the server for the first time.

>> (BTW, is there a way to connect without encryption? It's localhost on a
>> single user machine. Looks like setting nnimap-stream to network will
>> just cause starttls to be selected.)
>
> Yes.  Set it to `network-only' instead.  I think that should work...

Thanks.

* Re: OpenSSL using 100% cpu for connection to localhost imap
@ 2011-03-13 23:49     ` John Sullivan
From: John Sullivan @ 2011-03-13 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

John Sullivan <john@wjsullivan.net> writes:

> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>> John Sullivan <john@wjsullivan.net> writes:

>> Yes.  Set it to `network-only' instead.  I think that should work...
>
> Thanks.

Doesn't work for me -- setting it to network-only leads to it reading up
to 36k and then hanging until I C-g.

* Re: OpenSSL using 100% cpu for connection to localhost imap
@ 2011-03-14 17:00       ` John Sullivan
From: John Sullivan @ 2011-03-14 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

John Sullivan <john@wjsullivan.net> writes:

> John Sullivan <john@wjsullivan.net> writes:
>
>> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>>
>>> John Sullivan <john@wjsullivan.net> writes:
>
>>> Yes.  Set it to `network-only' instead.  I think that should work...
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Doesn't work for me -- setting it to network-only leads to it reading up
> to 36k and then hanging until I C-g.

Weirdly, I don't get a backtrace with debug-on-quit on.

Removing the nnimap-stream parameter and leaving it to the default works
fine.

* Re: OpenSSL using 100% cpu for connection to localhost imap
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-03-15 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

John Sullivan <john@wjsullivan.net> writes:

> Weirdly, I don't get a backtrace with debug-on-quit on.

I've now tried to fix all places that had a `condition-case' that would
suppress `quit' actions even when `debug-on-quit' is on, so that this
should be easier to debug.

* Re: OpenSSL using 100% cpu for connection to localhost imap
@ 2011-03-15 20:07           ` John Sullivan
From: John Sullivan @ 2011-03-15 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> John Sullivan <john@wjsullivan.net> writes:
>
>> Weirdly, I don't get a backtrace with debug-on-quit on.
>
> I've now tried to fix all places that had a `condition-case' that would
> suppress `quit' actions even when `debug-on-quit' is on, so that this
> should be easier to debug.

I've updated to emacs bzr from today. Now with network-only, I get:

Warning: Unable to open server nnimap+local due to: Unknown stream type:
network-only

* Re: OpenSSL using 100% cpu for connection to localhost imap
@ 2011-03-15 22:20             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-03-15 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

John Sullivan <john@wjsullivan.net> writes:

> I've updated to emacs bzr from today. Now with network-only, I get:
>
> Warning: Unable to open server nnimap+local due to: Unknown stream type:
> network-only

This should now be fixed in No Gnus.