* Gnus does not reliably notice new mail deposited in IMAP groups by  nnimap-split-rule
@ 2002-12-06  0:26 Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2002-12-06  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Recently Gnus has stopped reliably noticing mail dropped into various
IMAP groups by the nnimap-split-rule.  I know that messages have been
put into the groups because I see the "IMAP split moved message ..."
go by in the echo area, but then the group selection buffer comes up
claiming that there is no new mail in these groups.  If I forcibly
select one of these groups (using 'L' to display the full list, for
instance) the mail does not show up either.  The only workaround I
have found is to quit Gnus, restart, and immediately use 'A A' to
reread the "active file".  This apparently has the side effect of
making Gnus actually look at what's on the server, rather than
whereever it's looking; but I then have to poke each group to see
if there are new messages, which is tedious, and it only works right
after Gnus starts. I turned the agent and the cache off, but this did
not help.  Neither does deleting .newsrc.eld.

I say 'recently' because up to about five days ago it was working just
fine.  I have no idea what changed.  Up till today I was using
whichever random CVS snapshot is in the Debian unstable 'gnus' package
right now; today I upgraded to CVS HEAD to see if that would help, but
it didn't.

zw

Oort Gnus v0.08
GNU Emacs 21.2.2 (i386-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2002-10-15 on raven, modified by Debian

[-- Attachment #2: User settings --]

* Re: Gnus does not reliably notice new mail deposited in IMAP groups by  nnimap-split-rule
@ 2002-12-06  8:10 ` Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2002-12-06  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com> writes:

> Recently Gnus has stopped reliably noticing mail dropped
> into various IMAP groups by the nnimap-split-rule.

I've seen this a lot, but just pressing `g' one more time in
the Group buffer helps me. The problem (I don't consider it
a major one) has been there for at least a month, probably
longer.

Niklas

* Re: Gnus does not reliably notice new mail deposited in IMAP groups by  nnimap-split-rule
@ 2002-12-06 16:39   ` Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2002-12-06 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Zack Weinberg, ding

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 09:10:29AM +0100, Niklas Morberg wrote:
> Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com> writes:
>
> > Recently Gnus has stopped reliably noticing mail dropped
> > into various IMAP groups by the nnimap-split-rule.
>
> I've seen this a lot, but just pressing `g' one more time in
> the Group buffer helps me. The problem (I don't consider it
> a major one) has been there for at least a month, probably
> longer.

For me, pressing 'g' again has no effect.

I should add that this isn't a problem with splitting.  I commented
that out of .gnus, so that everything should wind up in INBOX, and
Gnus still doesn't see any new mail come in.

zw

* Re: Gnus does not reliably notice new mail deposited in IMAP groups by  nnimap-split-rule
@ 2002-12-08 18:34     ` Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2002-12-08 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com> writes:
> I should add that this isn't a problem with splitting.  I commented
> that out of .gnus, so that everything should wind up in INBOX, and
> Gnus still doesn't see any new mail come in.

I experimented a bit further and found that Gnus sees all the new mail
come in the very first time it checks.  Later use of 'g' doesn't see
new mail.  Exiting and restarting Gnus doesn't help, I have to exit
and restart Emacs to get it to see new mail again.  So I suspect
there's some data structure that's not getting torn down when it
should be, and that's the cause of the trouble.

Could I get some tips on how to debug this?  I can read lisp okay, but
I'm not familiar with the guts of Gnus.

zw