* Scaling smileys in article display
@ 2019-11-07 19:14 Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2019-11-07 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

  Hi,

I use:

  (setq smiley-style 'medium)

but with 4K displays on laptops these days 16x16 pixels is _very_ small.

Is there a way to scale them up?

I've tried modifying smiley-update-cache, adding both :scale 4.0 and
:width 64 :height 64 to the call to gnus-create-image, but it doesn't
seem to take.

I could draw some larger ones, but...

(I'm almost certain I've asked this before, but I can't find anything in
my configuration about it.)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Please don't "meh" the panopticon. You are                   Adam Sjøgren
  not making things better by doing that."                asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Scaling smileys in article display
@ 2019-11-07 20:04 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2019-11-07 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: ding

Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

> I use:
>
>   (setq smiley-style 'medium)
>
> but with 4K displays on laptops these days 16x16 pixels is _very_ small.

It seems like xpm images doesn't support scaling?

(insert-image (create-image "~/src/emacs/trunk/etc/images/smilies/wry.xpm" nil nil :scale 20.0))

I thought all Emacs image formats supported scaling these days...

* Re: Scaling smileys in article display
@ 2019-11-07 20:30   ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2019-11-07 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Lars writes:

> Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:
>
>> but with 4K displays on laptops these days 16x16 pixels is _very_ small.
>
> It seems like xpm images doesn't support scaling?
>
> (insert-image (create-image "~/src/emacs/trunk/etc/images/smilies/wry.xpm" nil nil :scale 20.0))

Ahhhhhhh, _that's_ why! Now I feel simultaneously less and more dumb.

> I thought all Emacs image formats supported scaling these days...

Hm, wait a minute, maybe it worked waaaaaaaaaaay back in the crashy
ImageMagick-days, and now - with the internal scaling - it doesn't?

I seem to remember the smileys not being miniscule, even on hidpi
screens some [unspecified] time ago, at least.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--

@ 2019-11-07 20:47     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2019-11-07 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: ding

Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

>> I thought all Emacs image formats supported scaling these days...
>
> Hm, wait a minute, maybe it worked waaaaaaaaaaay back in the crashy
> ImageMagick-days, and now - with the internal scaling - it doesn't?

Ah, that seems likely.  But it seems like a bug that xpm images aren't
scaled, I think.

* Re: Scaling smileys in article display
@ 2019-11-07 20:50       ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2019-11-07 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Lars writes:

> Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:
>
>> Hm, wait a minute, maybe it worked waaaaaaaaaaay back in the crashy
>> ImageMagick-days, and now - with the internal scaling - it doesn't?
>
> Ah, that seems likely.  But it seems like a bug that xpm images aren't
> scaled, I think.

Agreed. Should I file a bug or have you already done so?

  /A

--

@ 2019-11-07 20:51         ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2019-11-07 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: ding

Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

> Agreed. Should I file a bug or have you already done so?

Please go ahead.

* Re: Scaling smileys in article display
@ 2019-11-07 21:13           ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2019-11-07 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Lars writes:

> Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:
>
>> Agreed. Should I file a bug or have you already done so?
>
> Please go ahead.

Done:

 · https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=38109

I found that while XPMs aren't scaled, GIF are scaled, but PNGs get a
larger canvas, but the actual image isn't scaled - so three different
outcomes for three different image types!

Maybe I should do a git pull and rebuild Emacs, just to make sure that
it's not because I haven't for a couple of weeks.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--

@ 2019-11-07 21:34             ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2019-11-07 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Adam writes:

> Maybe I should do a git pull and rebuild Emacs, just to make sure that
> it's not because I haven't for a couple of weeks.

I did that now.

The result is that the images are now consistently... not scaled!

 · https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=38109#8

  Best regards,

    Adam