* kill everyone but one user?
@ 2017-11-12 17:50 Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-11-12 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

What is the most efficient way to get the posts
of a single user from a newsgroup and
nothing else?

Surely not increase his score to 1 and
mark-and-expunge everyone else (at 0)?

Can you do an auto-splitting that will steer all
his posts to a virtual group?

Just imagine to have a group usenets-finest
with your 2-3 favorite users from dozens of
high-noise groups!

But wait - doesn't that mean you loose the
context when you don't see what everyone else
is writing? Yes - that's the whole point :)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: kill everyone but one user?
@ 2017-11-14 19:15 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2017-11-14 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 18:50:22 +0100 Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> wrote:

EB> What is the most efficient way to get the posts
EB> of a single user from a newsgroup and
EB> nothing else?

Once: use "limit to".

For the session: use temporary score files (lower everything but user
in the scope of that group).

Forever: use permanent score files (same as above).

Ted

* Re: kill everyone but one user?
@ 2017-11-14 20:09   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-11-14 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> Forever: use permanent score files (same as
> above).

"Forever", yes, but to score it will mean that
every time it'll look like this

    rec.techno-techno.science 189

and so I hit RET and the 189 disappear because
my darlings weren't among them. Next time

    rec.techno-techno.science 39

same, and so on.

I agree scoring would be optimal because it
works so well and has a familiar interface, but
how can I automate it so that I don't have to
clear those 189s and 39s all the time in hope
of something interesting to read?

--

@ 2017-11-14 23:26     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2017-11-14 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 21:09:41 +0100 Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> wrote:

EB> I agree scoring would be optimal because it
EB> works so well and has a familiar interface, but
EB> how can I automate it so that I don't have to
EB> clear those 189s and 39s all the time in hope
EB> of something interesting to read?

I think you'll have to write some code to enter the group and leave it
right away, so the scoring rules are applied.

Ted