* [BUG?] kill group state is not saved for nnimap servers.
@ 2011-02-17  0:34 Emilio Jesús Gallego Arias
From: Emilio Jesús Gallego Arias @ 2011-02-17  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I want some of my imap groups out of the "L" view. Before, I just killed
them and they won't never appear again. Now, new nnimap kills them, but
doesn't save that state, so when quitting and starting gnus, the groups
appear again and have to be killed. The old nnimap preserved this state,
it is, it effectively killed the groups forever.

Regards,
Emilio

* Re: [BUG?] kill group state is not saved for nnimap servers.
@ 2011-02-17  0:37 ` Emilio Jesús Gallego Arias
From: Emilio Jesús Gallego Arias @ 2011-02-17  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

egallego@babel.ls.fi.upm.es (Emilio Jesús Gallego Arias) writes:

> I want some of my imap groups out of the "L" view. Before, I just killed
> them and they won't never appear again. Now, new nnimap kills them, but
> doesn't save that state, so when quitting and starting gnus, the groups
> appear again and have to be killed. The old nnimap preserved this state,
> it is, it effectively killed the groups forever.

Example group that reappear visible. The others appear as unsubscribed,
but visible when pressing "L".

("nnimap+babel:#mailman.slam-dev" 3 nil nil
 (nnimap "babel")
 ((modseq . 4)
  (uidvalidity . "1257823232")
  (active 1 . 1276)
  (permanent-flags)))

   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

@ 2011-02-17 23:47 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-17 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

egallego@babel.ls.fi.upm.es (Emilio Jesús Gallego Arias) writes:

> I want some of my imap groups out of the "L" view. Before, I just killed
> them and they won't never appear again. Now, new nnimap kills them, but
> doesn't save that state, so when quitting and starting gnus, the groups
> appear again and have to be killed.

Do you have `gnus-save-killed-list' set to nil?

* Re: [BUG?] kill group state is not saved for nnimap servers.
@ 2011-02-23  2:07   ` Emilio Jesús Gallego Arias
From: Emilio Jesús Gallego Arias @ 2011-02-23  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> egallego@babel.ls.fi.upm.es (Emilio Jesús Gallego Arias) writes:
>
>> I want some of my imap groups out of the "L" view. Before, I just killed
>> them and they won't never appear again. Now, new nnimap kills them, but
>> doesn't save that state, so when quitting and starting gnus, the groups
>> appear again and have to be killed.
>
> Do you have `gnus-save-killed-list' set to nil?

I had. Note that this used to work.

No I've set gnus-save-killed-list to t and almost all of the nnimap
groups I kill are remembered. But some groups re-appear after killing
them.

gnus-killed-list doesn't contain those groups.

@ 2011-02-23  8:55     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-23  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

egallego@babel.ls.fi.upm.es (Emilio Jesús Gallego Arias) writes:

> No I've set gnus-save-killed-list to t and almost all of the nnimap
> groups I kill are remembered. But some groups re-appear after killing
> them.
>
> gnus-killed-list doesn't contain those groups.

I'm unable to reproduce this.  If I kill a nnimap group, then
`gnus-killed-list' contains that group.  In what circumstances doesn't
this happen?

* gnus-message-archive-method and group aliases Was: Re: [BUG?] kill group state is not saved for nnimap servers.
@ 2011-02-24  2:10       ` Emilio Jesús Gallego Arias
From: Emilio Jesús Gallego Arias @ 2011-02-24  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> egallego@babel.ls.fi.upm.es (Emilio Jesús Gallego Arias) writes:
>
>> No I've set gnus-save-killed-list to t and almost all of the nnimap
>> groups I kill are remembered. But some groups re-appear after killing
>> them.
>>
>> gnus-killed-list doesn't contain those groups.
>
> I'm unable to reproduce this.  If I kill a nnimap group, then
> `gnus-killed-list' contains that group.  In what circumstances doesn't
> this happen?

Those are my relevant settings:

(setq gnus-save-newsrc-file nil)
(setq gnus-read-newsrc-file nil)
(setq gnus-save-killed-list t) ;; Was nil previously
(setq gnus-check-new-newsgroups 'ask-server)
(setq gnus-use-dribble-file nil)
(setq gnus-message-archive-method '(nnimap "babel"))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnimap "babel"
                (nnimap-address "babel")
                (nnimap-stream ssl))))

I've noticed that in my newsrc.eld file a line is saved

(setq gnus-server-alist '(("archive" nnimap "babel")))

I've been debugging a little bit and found the problem why Group kills
are not saved for one particular server. In short, gnus confuses nnimap
methods.

In gnus-group-change-level this code is never executed:

	(unless (gnus-group-foreign-p group)
	  (if (= level gnus-level-zombie)
	      (push group gnus-zombie-list)
	    (if (= oldlevel gnus-level-killed)
		;; Remove from active hashtb.
		(unintern group gnus-active-hashtb)
	      ;; Don't add it into killed-list if it was killed.
	      (push group gnus-killed-list)))))

So gnus-group-foreign-p returns nil. Shocking. So investigating I found
that

 (gnus-find-method-for-group "nnimap+babel:INBOX") is (nnimap "babel")

But in gnus-secondary-method-p it is compared against a different value:

 (gnus-method-equal '(nnimap "babel") '(nnimap "babel" (nnimap-address "babel.ls.fi.upm.es") (nnimap-stream ssl)))

which of course is nil. I guess the reason (gnus-find-method-for-group
"nnimap+babel:INBOX") return (nnimap "babel") is because of confusion
with the archival server, but I'm not sure.

I had a look into gnus-newsrc-alist, and indeed if I kill a group and
then I subscribe to it the "archive" server is stored in the info of
that group.

Not sure what to do, killing all the groups is a must as they contain
the wrong method, but then after re-subscribing they use the "archive"
method now. That will fix the remember killed groups issues, but seems
incorrect.

BTW, Putting the group manually in gnus-killed-list does nothing.

By the way, this is another part I'm not sure how it works in nnimap
(gnus-group-kill-group):

> 	  (when (numberp (gnus-group-unread group))
> 	    (gnus-request-update-group-status group 'unsubscribe))

(gnus-group-unread group) will always returns nil.

It was removed from the hash in gnus-group-change-level, so before
executing this function gnus-group-unread works.

Some notes:

 - I had (setq gnus-save-killed-list nil) in order to save speed and
   clutter from the newsrc.eld file.

 - Strange that everything used to work with gnus-save-killed-list but
   not now. indeed nntp works in both cases this is the weird thing. Old
   nnimap also worked OK. Why the group must explicitly saved as killed,
   if I didn't subscribe and didn't request new groups don't show it.

 - I have several imap servers as secondary select methods and gmane as
   primary.

So my point is that in some sense we don't have matching behavior
between nntp and nnimap.

 - nntp: Remembers killed groups with either value of
   gnus-save-killed-list.

 - nnimap: Doesn't remember killed groups with gnus-save-killed-list set
   to nil, fails to remember some when gnus-save-killed-list is set to t.

Regards,
Emilio

* Re: gnus-message-archive-method and group aliases Was: Re: [BUG?] kill group state is not saved for nnimap servers.
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-03-05 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

egallego@babel.ls.fi.upm.es (Emilio Jesús Gallego Arias) writes:

> In gnus-group-change-level this code is never executed:
>
> 	(unless (gnus-group-foreign-p group)

Ah, right.

I've now removed that check.