* (put 'gnus-summary-edit-article 'disabled t) doesn't work in *Article* buffer
@ 2010-12-24  2:40 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2010-12-24  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Gentlemen, in http:///jidanni.org/comp/configuration/.gnus.el
I do (put 'gnus-summary-edit-article 'disabled t)

That works in the *Summary* buffer, but not the *Article* buffer,
despite in both places describe-key saying
"e runs the command gnus-summary-edit-article".
What gives?

gnus-version "Gnus v5.13"

* Re: (put 'gnus-summary-edit-article 'disabled t) doesn't work in *Article* buffer
@ 2010-12-24 12:00 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2010-12-24 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
> Gentlemen, in http:///jidanni.org/comp/configuration/.gnus.el
> I do (put 'gnus-summary-edit-article 'disabled t)

> That works in the *Summary* buffer, but not the *Article* buffer,
> despite in both places describe-key saying
> "e runs the command gnus-summary-edit-article".
> What gives?

> gnus-version "Gnus v5.13"

The real command that the "e" key is bound to in the article
buffer is `gnus-article-read-summary-keys', which is used to
invoke the summary commands from the article buffer and will
interpret it into:

(call-interactively 'gnus-summary-edit-article)

But it doesn't work for the `disabled' flag as if the command is
actually and directly invoked interactively.  I'm not capable to
improve it, sorry.

* describe-key doesn't tell whole redirect sequence
@ 2010-12-24 15:22   ` jidanni
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: jidanni @ 2010-12-24 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yamaoka; +Cc: ding, bug-gnu-emacs

KY> jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
>> Gentlemen, in http:///jidanni.org/comp/configuration/.gnus.el
>> I do (put 'gnus-summary-edit-article 'disabled t)

>> That works in the *Summary* buffer, but not the *Article* buffer,
>> despite in both places describe-key saying
>> "e runs the command gnus-summary-edit-article".
>> What gives?

>> gnus-version "Gnus v5.13"

KY> The real command that the "e" key is bound to in the article
KY> buffer is `gnus-article-read-summary-keys', which is used to
KY> invoke the summary commands from the article buffer and will
KY> interpret it into:

KY> (call-interactively 'gnus-summary-edit-article)

KY> But it doesn't work for the `disabled' flag as if the command is
KY> actually and directly invoked interactively.  I'm not capable to
KY> improve it, sorry.

I see. So the real bug is in the describe-key function, not telling the
user all the details! I'll Cc bug-gnu-emacs!

I also note one sees Describe Key: e-
in the minibuffer, with a "-" added.

Anyway, how can I disable it in the *Article* buffer too?

* Re: describe-key doesn't tell whole redirect sequence
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-01-02  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> Anyway, how can I disable it in the *Article* buffer too?

Bind "e" to undefined.

* Re: bug#7727: describe-key doesn't tell whole redirect sequence
@ 2011-01-23  0:02     ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2011-01-23  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: yamaoka, 7727, ding

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> KY> The real command that the "e" key is bound to in the article
> KY> buffer is `gnus-article-read-summary-keys'
>
> I see. So the real bug is in the describe-key function, not telling the
> user all the details! I'll Cc bug-gnu-emacs!

It's not a bug in describe-key, because that's apparently not the
command run by `C-h k' in Gnus article buffers:

  C-h k runs the command gnus-article-describe-key, which is an
  interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-art.el'.

  It is bound to C-h k.

Indeed, doing `M-x describe-key' instead of `C-h k' returns
gnus-article-read-summary-keys, as expected.  Dunno what the purpose of
gnus-article-describe-key is.

Bouncing back to the Gnus developers.

* Re: bug#7727: describe-key doesn't tell whole redirect sequence
@ 2011-01-23  1:19       ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-01-23  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: jidanni, yamaoka, 7727, ding

> Indeed, doing `M-x describe-key' instead of `C-h k' returns
> gnus-article-read-summary-keys, as expected.  Dunno what the purpose of
> gnus-article-describe-key is.

It tries to determine what the command really being called (in the
summary buffer) is.

* Re: describe-key doesn't tell whole redirect sequence
@ 2011-01-24  1:04     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-01-24  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: yamaoka, 7727-close, bug-gnu-emacs, ding

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> KY> (call-interactively 'gnus-summary-edit-article)
>
> KY> But it doesn't work for the `disabled' flag as if the command is
> KY> actually and directly invoked interactively.  I'm not capable to
> KY> improve it, sorry.
>
> I see. So the real bug is in the describe-key function, not telling the
> user all the details! I'll Cc bug-gnu-emacs!

I don't think this is a bug.  None of the commands in the article buffer
are regular commands, and you can't disable them with

(put 'gnus-summary-edit-article 'disabled t)

If you want to redefine commands in the article buffer, you have to bind
their keys.

* Re: describe-key doesn't tell whole redirect sequence
@ 2011-01-24  1:24       ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-01-24  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: 7727-close, yamaoka, bug-gnu-emacs, ding

> I don't think this is a bug.  None of the commands in the article buffer
> are regular commands, and you can't disable them with
>
> (put 'gnus-summary-edit-article 'disabled t)

On the other hand, the article mode key translation thingie could just
check for 'disabled itself.  Now fixed.

* Re: bug#7727: describe-key doesn't tell whole redirect sequence
@ 2011-01-24 16:31         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-01-24 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: jidanni, 7727-close, yamaoka, bug-gnu-emacs, ding

>> I don't think this is a bug.  None of the commands in the article buffer
>> are regular commands, and you can't disable them with
>> (put 'gnus-summary-edit-article 'disabled t)

> On the other hand, the article mode key translation thingie could just
> check for 'disabled itself.  Now fixed.

A cleaner could look like the following: add dynamic keymaps to Emacs,
where "dynamic keymaps" are represented as functions/objects a bit like
functional completion tables.

        Stefan

* Re: bug#7727: describe-key doesn't tell whole redirect sequence
@ 2011-01-24 22:01           ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-01-24 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: jidanni, 7727-close, yamaoka, bug-gnu-emacs, ding

> A cleaner could look like the following: add dynamic keymaps to Emacs,
> where "dynamic keymaps" are represented as functions/objects a bit like
> functional completion tables.

Hm...  how would that work?

The complicated run-summary-commands-from-the-article-buffer thing is
quite, er, complicated, because some commands need to keep the window
conf, while others shouldn't, and stuff.

* Re: bug#7727: describe-key doesn't tell whole redirect sequence
@ 2011-01-25  3:09             ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-01-25  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen
  Cc: jidanni, 7727debbugs.gnu.org, yamaoka, bug-gnu-emacs, ding

>> A cleaner could look like the following: add dynamic keymaps to Emacs,
>> where "dynamic keymaps" are represented as functions/objects a bit like
>> functional completion tables.
> Hm...  how would that work?

> The complicated run-summary-commands-from-the-article-buffer thing is
> quite, er, complicated, because some commands need to keep the window
> conf, while others shouldn't, and stuff.

I haven't worked it out, so I can't really answer.  In PCL-CVS I had
a similar situation, except that I used a prefix key, so <prefix> <key>
in a derived buffer would call the command bound to <prefix> in the main
buffer, so I didn't need to play tricks with the keymap.  But I had to
make the commands themselves work in "any" buffer, and indeed, that had
to be done differently for each command.

How would the dynamic keymap enter the picture: rather than substitute
"undefined => gnus-article-read-summary-keys" and fool around
describe-key and friends, you'd set article-mode's parent keymap to
a dynamic keymap, i.e. a function that takes the current key as argument
and needs to return the command to which this key is bound (or nil), so
this function can lookup summary mode's keymap and return a command that
performs <summary-command> but that works from the article buffer.
You can do this last step either by making all summary command work in
the article buffer (as I did in PCL-CVS) or by dynamically wrapping the
command into a new command (which would do something similar to
gnus-article-read-summary-keys, except it takes the <summary-command>
as argument rather than a key-sequence).

The main benefit is that the keymapping is made clear to describe-key,
so you wouldn't need gnus-article-describe-key and friends.  Of course,
all this is hypothetical since we don't have dynamic keymaps.
As for me, the main reason why I want dynamic keymaps is for use in
function-key-map where I'd move most of the "fallback" thingies from
read-key-sequence (e.g. A => a, double-mouse-2 => mouse-2, down-mouse-2
=> nil, ...) and where we could place generic remappings like "any
modifiers + mouse-4 => same modifiers + wheel-up".

        Stefan

* Re: bug#7727: describe-key doesn't tell whole redirect sequence
@ 2011-01-25  9:31               ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-01-25  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

> The main benefit is that the keymapping is made clear to describe-key,
> so you wouldn't need gnus-article-describe-key and friends.  Of course,
> all this is hypothetical since we don't have dynamic keymaps.

Sounds good to me.  The `gnus-article-read-summary-keys' thing doesn't
work perfectly anyway, with some prefixed complex key bindings, if I
remember correctly.