* Unexpected behavior in gnus-group-list-groups after gnus-group-get-new-news
@ 2023-10-31  8:37 Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2023-10-31  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I am using Emacs from emacs-29 branch head.

Before calling gnus-group-get-new-news with ARG my group buffer looks
like this. i.e. pressing "l" gnus-group-list-groups, the group buffer
shows this.

       1: nnimap+codeisgreat:golang
       1: nnimap+otp:INBOX
*      0: nnimap+otp:[Gmail]/Sent Mail
*      0: nnimap+otp:[Gmail]/Trash
       1: nnimap+otp:career
       3: nnimap+otp:cron
       1: nntp+gmane:gmane.comp.lang.go.general
*      0:*nntp+gmane:gmane.emacs.gnus.general
       1: nntp+gmane:gmane.linux.debian.user

But after I call gnus-group-get-new-news with ARG like this "C-u 1 g",
the group buffer shows only groups with level 1 and unread
messages. This is fine.

       9: nnimap+otp:INBOX

But now if I press "l", the group buffer shows many old groups also,
which I subscribed at some point in time.

       *: comp.lang.c++.moderated
       *: comp.lang.c.moderated
       *: comp.lang.functional
       *: comp.lang.haskell
       *: comp.lang.java.programmer
       *: comp.lang.java.security
       *: comp.lang.java.softwaretools
       *: comp.lang.logo
       *: comp.lang.ruby
       *: comp.org.acm
       *: comp.org.ieee
       *: comp.os.linux.announce
       *: comp.os.misc
       *: comp.std.c
       1: nnimap+codeisgreat:golang
      10: nnimap+gml:INBOX
*      0: nnimap+gml:[Gmail]/Sent Mail
       9: nnimap+otp:INBOX
       *: nnimap+otp:[Gmail]/Bin
*      0: nnimap+otp:[Gmail]/Sent Mail
*      0: nnimap+otp:[Gmail]/Trash
       1: nnimap+otp:career
       3: nnimap+otp:cron
*      0: nnimap+outlook:Inbox
       *: nnimap+sjm:INBOX
       *: nnimap+sjm:[Gmail]/Sent Mail
       *: nnimap+sjm:[Gmail]/Spam
       1: nntp+gmane:gmane.comp.lang.go.general
*      0:*nntp+gmane:gmane.emacs.gnus.general

I'm unsure which variable or setting the l command (i.e.,
gnus-group-list-groups) refers to in this context. Is it
gnus-level-subscribed, gnus-group-default-list-level, or something else?
I'd appreciate any insights into this behavior.

Can someone explain what is going on here? To summarize: after calling
gnus-group-get-new-news with an argument and then listing groups with l,
I'm seeing old groups that I had previously subscribed to. I expect not
to see these old groups.

* Re: Unexpected behavior in gnus-group-list-groups after gnus-group-get-new-news
@ 2023-10-31  8:54 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2023-10-31  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I cannot help you directly but I find it useful to customise the format
for displaying the groups in your groups buffer, gnus-group-line-format,
to include the level for each group.  This may help you answer some of
your questions.

--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 30.0.50 2023-09-14) on Debian 12.1