* C-g and gmail imap?
@ 2011-06-02  2:50 Leo
From: Leo @ 2011-06-02  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

I am running No Gnus and I have found sometimes when connecting to gmail
imap, I cannot C-g to stop it. Because google services are crippled in
China, I have run into this situation fairly often.

I wonder if this has anything to do with DNS resolver? Thanks in
advance.

Leo

* Re: C-g and gmail imap?
@ 2011-06-02 15:26 ` Antoine Levitt
From: Antoine Levitt @ 2011-06-02 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

02/06/11 04:50, Leo
> Hello,
>
> I am running No Gnus and I have found sometimes when connecting to gmail
> imap, I cannot C-g to stop it. Because google services are crippled in
> China, I have run into this situation fairly often.
>
> I wonder if this has anything to do with DNS resolver? Thanks in
> advance.

Probably. Does DNS resolving work normally outside emacs? Does dnsmask
(http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html) help?

Also, recent versions of emacs (ie trunk) can be interrupted even when
C-g doesn't work, by sending the USR2 signal like this:

killall -s SIGUSR2 emacs

You can send the signal and see where emacs is stuck.

There's an open TODO to use asynchroneous DNS resolving in gnus, see
<m3lixnucu6.fsf@quimbies.gnus.org>