* news.gwene.org NNTP/RSS aggregator
@ 2010-08-09 14:22 Ted Zlatanov
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-08-09 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

If you don't know about it yet, Lars put up news.gwene.org over the
weekend.  Just go to http://gwene.org/ to add a new feed and then go to
news.gwene.org to read the feed as NNTP.  Go, test monkeys! :)

IMO this is the way to go if you read RSS feeds: much better speed than
nnrss, centrally aggregated, NNTP protocol, and available from anywhere.

Ted

* Re: news.gwene.org NNTP/RSS aggregator
@ 2010-08-09 16:50 ` David Engster
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David Engster @ 2010-08-09 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov writes:
> If you don't know about it yet, Lars put up news.gwene.org over the
> weekend.  Just go to http://gwene.org/ to add a new feed and then go to
> news.gwene.org to read the feed as NNTP.  Go, test monkeys! :)
>
> IMO this is the way to go if you read RSS feeds: much better speed than
> nnrss, centrally aggregated, NNTP protocol, and available from anywhere.

Wow. That *is* pretty cool. Could now please everyone publish feeds with
full content? ;-)

-David

* Re: news.gwene.org NNTP/RSS aggregator
@ 2010-08-14  2:10   ` Kevin Ryde
From: Kevin Ryde @ 2010-08-14  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> IMO this is the way to go if you read RSS feeds: much better speed than
> nnrss, centrally aggregated, NNTP protocol, and available from anywhere.

As a bit of gratuitous self-promotion I made an rss->news for myself at
http://user42.tuxfamily.org/rss2leafnode/index.html .  Good for batch
download of stuff to a local server to read later, with a few options
like pre-render html to text.  Of course there's also things like
plagger, rss2email, feed2imap and rssdrop doing similar.  The main
difference in all these as I can notice it is the style of message they
spit out, how configurable they are or you need, and a bit of how much
bad rss they can cope with :-).

I've slightly intended splitting out some of my feed->news message
converting code, as there's various subtleties in the specs and what's
found in practice which might be of general use.  If anyone's interested
the guts as it stands are in lib/App/RSS2Leafnode.pm
fetch_rss_process_one_item() %headers bit and follow to the subroutines
for making "From", "Subject", "Message-ID" etc.

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

> Could now please everyone publish feeds with full content? ;-)

I made a "get links" option to download the target thing and include it
as a mime part.  You usually have to decide manually whether there's
something good at the link or just a copy of the article, or balance
between size of download and how often you want to see the full thing.

* Re: news.gwene.org NNTP/RSS aggregator
@ 2010-08-14 23:42 ` Rémi Letot
From: Rémi Letot @ 2010-08-14 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> IMO this is the way to go if you read RSS feeds: much better speed than
> nnrss, centrally aggregated, NNTP protocol, and available from anywhere.

now that my feeds are in gwene (also accessible in gmane, by the way),
how do I stop gnus from fetching them ? I have unsubscribed and killed
all nnrss groups, but gnus still fetches them at startup or whenever I
hit 'g'...

Thanks,
--
Rémi

* Re: news.gwene.org NNTP/RSS aggregator
@ 2010-08-15  8:20 ` Rémi Letot
From: Rémi Letot @ 2010-08-15  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> If you don't know about it yet, Lars put up news.gwene.org over the
> weekend.  Just go to http://gwene.org/ to add a new feed and then go to
> news.gwene.org to read the feed as NNTP.  Go, test monkeys! :)

All feeds subscribed through gmane, I have waited for that since I
discovered rss feeds existed :-)

Now how do I remove the original nnrss groups from gnus ? I unsubscribed
and killed them, but gnus still fetches them when I hit 'g'...

Thanks,
--
Rémi

* Re: news.gwene.org NNTP/RSS aggregator
@ 2010-08-15 20:51   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2010-08-15 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Now how do I remove the original nnrss groups from gnus ? I
> unsubscribed and killed them, but gnus still fetches them when I hit
> 'g'...

If you just unsubscribed the groups, they are still present, just not
visible.

Kill them with C-k, save the .newsrc.eld and quit gnus.
Restart gnus, and they should be gone.

If you've unsubscribed the groups and they are not visible, press `l' in
the *Group* buffer to toggle the visibility of the unsubscribed groups.

* Re: news.gwene.org NNTP/RSS aggregator
@ 2010-08-16  0:18     ` Rémi Letot
From: Rémi Letot @ 2010-08-16  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> If you've unsubscribed the groups and they are not visible, press `l' in
> the *Group* buffer to toggle the visibility of the unsubscribed groups.

ok now they are gone for real.

They were just gone from my topics but still there. With 't' in the
group buffer I switched to the "non topic" view and they were
there.

Thanks for the 'l' tip which put me on their track.
--
Rémi

* Re: news.gwene.org NNTP/RSS aggregator
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-08-18 13:45 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-08-18 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 09:22:14 -0500 Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:

TZ> If you don't know about it yet, Lars put up news.gwene.org over the
TZ> weekend.  Just go to http://gwene.org/ to add a new feed and then go to
TZ> news.gwene.org to read the feed as NNTP.  Go, test monkeys! :)

TZ> IMO this is the way to go if you read RSS feeds: much better speed than
TZ> nnrss, centrally aggregated, NNTP protocol, and available from anywhere.

I think the manual section on nnrss should have pointers to gwene.com.
But that's kind of a grey area (pointing to a third-party service) so
WDYT?

@ 2010-08-18 16:08   ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2010-08-18 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> I think the manual section on nnrss should have pointers to gwene.com.
> But that's kind of a grey area (pointing to a third-party service) so
> WDYT?

I think you are right.

I also found nnrss kind of slow, so I switched to rss2email.
So there imo are at least two fine alternatives out there (now).

What about a page on the emacswiki?
Something like "Reading RSS in gnus" that could be mentioned in the
manual.

However, due to its volatile wiki-ish nature, maybe adding a link to a
page on the emacswiki to the manual is not a good idea...

Memnon

* Re: news.gwene.org NNTP/RSS aggregator
@ 2010-08-28 22:21   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-08-28 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> I think the manual section on nnrss should have pointers to gwene.com.
> But that's kind of a grey area (pointing to a third-party service) so
> WDYT?

I think mentioning it in the manual wouldn't be optimal.

* Re: news.gwene.org NNTP/RSS aggregator
@ 2011-02-25 22:09     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-02-25 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 00:21:46 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LMI> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> I think the manual section on nnrss should have pointers to gwene.com.
>> But that's kind of a grey area (pointing to a third-party service) so
>> WDYT?

LMI> I think mentioning it in the manual wouldn't be optimal.

It's not optimal but should at least be in the FAQ.  After 6 months of
using Gwene I couldn't imagine going back to nnrss and hope new Gnus
users are at least aware of Gwene.

@ 2011-02-25 23:27       ` Joseph Gay
From: Joseph Gay @ 2011-02-25 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> It's not optimal but should at least be in the FAQ.  After 6 months of
> using Gwene I couldn't imagine going back to nnrss and hope new Gnus
> users are at least aware of Gwene.

I started with Gnus precisely so I could use it with Gwene as a Google
Reader replacement. Now I'm using Gnus for e-mail as well. One question
I have is, with improvements in No Gnus, would I be okay to connect
directly from Gnus to Gwene instead of going through Leafnode as I do now?

* Re: news.gwene.org NNTP/RSS aggregator
@ 2011-02-25 23:42         ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2011-02-25 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 17:27:34 -0600, Joseph wrote:

> One question I have is, with improvements in No Gnus, would I be okay
> to connect directly from Gnus to Gwene instead of going through
> Leafnode as I do now?

I have been using gmane via direct nntp since the beginning, and gwene
as well - it has always worked fine for me (I am physically not that far
from Norway, though, which may help :-))

So I'd say I don't think the changes will make much difference, but give
it a try anyway.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "I always liked songs with parentheses in the title."        Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: news.gwene.org NNTP/RSS aggregator
@ 2011-02-26  3:56         ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-26  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Joseph Gay <gilleylen@gmail.com> writes:

> One question I have is, with improvements in No Gnus, would I be okay
> to connect directly from Gnus to Gwene instead of going through
> Leafnode as I do now?

I read Gwene with Gnus, so I guess everybody should be able to.  :-)

* Re: news.gwene.org NNTP/RSS aggregator
@ 2011-02-28 19:36           ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-02-28 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 03:56:28 +0000 Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LI> Joseph Gay <gilleylen@gmail.com> writes:
>> One question I have is, with improvements in No Gnus, would I be okay
>> to connect directly from Gnus to Gwene instead of going through
>> Leafnode as I do now?

LI> I read Gwene with Gnus, so I guess everybody should be able to.  :-)

...and my original point was that the experience is so much better than
with nnrss that we should say something in the manual so everybody
could.  Everybody that reads the manual, anyhow.  That could bring Gwene
like 10 new users.

@ 2011-02-28 22:30             ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2011-02-28 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tzz; +Cc: ding

Indeed, there should be a defvar
nnrss-are-you-sure-you-want-to-use-nnrss-and-not-gwene, default value
'warn-every-time.

* Re: news.gwene.org NNTP/RSS aggregator
@ 2011-03-01 16:51               ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-01 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 06:30:22 +0800 jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

j> Indeed, there should be a defvar
j> nnrss-are-you-sure-you-want-to-use-nnrss-and-not-gwene, default value
j> 'warn-every-time.

I almost agree.

@ 2011-03-05 11:28             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-03-05 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> ...and my original point was that the experience is so much better than
> with nnrss that we should say something in the manual so everybody
> could.

I'm not sure that's appropriate, though...